Antelope Doe Tag Notched

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
antelope112012.jpg

Yesterday late a few goats were spotted out a ways from the truck parked at the blue X. They were far enough away, they paid little attention to the truck. This morning i parked the truck at the left, and walked the yellow tracks made by the gps, toward where i figured them pronghorn might be. It was quite cold, 38*; it seemed weird as last Saturday it was 85* in the area. When i reached the spot where the loop in the tracks start, i spotted them, and dropped down so as to be able to somehow get closer whilst shielded by the terrain. The plan worked for a bit, but it turned out they had camped where they couldn't be readily approached. Eventually i was forced to crawl on my belly.

antelope122012.jpg

After crawling for awhile, i decided to leave the bipod, because i figured i wouldn't be able to use in whilst on my belly. Waypoint 117 is where i left it. After more belly crawling, the water in the back pocket of my vest became an irritant, so i left it at waypoint 118. Crawling became a burden after a bit; my neck was bent funny when trying to keep a look on them goats. It started snowing lightly. When i first started crawling, i saw 2 antelope. After quite some time, i saw 6, then 10, then more, all bedded. At waypoint 119, i tried to range them critter again, and as before the rangefinder kept reading 30 yard. It kept reading the grass in front of me instead of them antelope. So i read the ground some behind, and it ranged at 340 yard. It seemed to me they were at about 325 yard, so i turned the CDS dial to what seemed to be 325 yard, and set up for the shot. It seemed i could make it laying there on the ground. One doe that looked full grown was sleeping broadside to me. Waypoint 120 is where the antelope was sleeping and where it died.

P1010318.JPG

After recovering from the recoil i saw a whole bunch of goats running off, and finally stopping out about 500 yard. One goat didn't move, but i could see it was alive. I immediately reloaded, and went to mark the spot where i shot from on the gps; unbeknownst to me, it had fallen out of my pocket during the crawl. This set me into a panic until i turned and looked behind, which is when i saw a very clear furrow made in the grass by my crawling.

P1010322.JPG

It was a simple chore to go back and retrieve the gps, and then i headed over to the goat after ranging it. It ranged at 314 yard.

P1010323.JPG

The 200g SST grazed the backbone, and went through the top of one lung and out through the off shoulder. Load was 115g Blackhorn, Harvester sabot, W209 primer. Rifle was 45 caliber Omega.

P1010331.JPG

P1010338.JPG

P1010336.JPG

Most of my hike toward them antelope was on a trail, so i was able to drive within 150 yard of the meat.

Last, the view from behind the steering wheel on the way home.

P1010343.JPG

Ron,

Congrads on the goat!. Great shot and Great story. Looks like all that long range practice has paid off. That looked like a Fun hunt too!

Nice shot! Looks like you proved all the naysayers wrong. You did your homework and it paid off. Great job.

A very good shot. Amazing accuracy. And an excellent story. Happy eating.

314 is no easy shot to make for the average rifleman. Much less with a Ml. Great shooting.

Sounds like a fun hunt. Thanks for sharing.

The bidpod i carry is too long for a prone shot, so i left it on the ground behind. Was able to get steady using the ground and my elbows somehow. Obviously lady luck smiled on me. Sometimes when i am shooting, i see the bullets fly true, and i don't know why.

Ron you make me jealous!!!!! I put in for a Nebraska Goat Tag but you have to earn 3 points so I still have to wait two more years before I can go but reading your story really keeps the excitement alive!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on a great trophy!!!!! Great Job!!!!!!

River Rat

Do your homework!! It took me 5 days to get a glimmer of a shot on government land. Saw trophy animals on deeded land, that were readily approachable.

Congratulations!

Shoulda hid behind one of them trees. :lol:

My son moved to WY a year ago, and one of those speed goat hunts is in my future. Maybe a mulie hunt while I am at it. Already did a couple elk hunts in Colorado, so that itch has been scratched, for now, but it will come back.

That little 200 gr SST/Shockwave is a good bullet, and has never let me down.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, er crawl. :wink:

Re: antelope hunt

dcahilly said:
what zone are the grasslands in and did you camp

huntmap.jpg

My tags are for 27A. The map shows land ownership in Fall River County which is the majority of the area. The purple area are the Federal Grassland, which is what i have been hunting. White areas are deeded. Colored areas are accessible to the public. I didn't camp, because wife is on the road peddling her merchandise, and i didn't want to leave the house unoccupied. The gold area is deeded land on which owners allow walk in only.

Back