45cal 300gr AT PLATINUM POWERBELT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The 300g Platinum was tested this morning. Shot through carpet, shelving, and 4 jugs, it bounced off the last jug, leaving the jug undamaged. Load = 80g Blackhorn. Range = 25 yard.

The bullet bounced into matted grass near the horse, and we could not see it. The metal detector found it after a brief search; it was about 5' away is all, but hidden. Small pieces of the bullet were found in the second, and third jug. The bullet now weighs 253.7 grain.

IMG_0721.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

In this case it being a 300gr 45cal bullet. Not a 50cal bullet. Try the same test with a 300gr PB 50cal of any construction. The higher sectional density helps it penetrate much better. You would need a 50cal of 375gr or more.

50cal Platinum only goes to 338gr. It's suppose to be pretty good on elk. I'm sure it would have no problem with any deer.

I'm almost impressed. Or rather I am impressed for a powerbelt. I almost want to try them just to see how they fly out of a fast twist .45 barrel. However given their price I don't think I probably will. Probably the best powerbelt test I've seen though.

I agree! It's the best Powerbelt out-there right now. But it's priced beyond my realm for ML bullets. Instead, I'll use a 300 grain XTP at one-third of the Platinum store price.

I have shot different power belts out of my Optima, and without question, they are accurate. I never push then hard. And I have read the horror stories of the power belt shooters. But looking at the information presents in this post, that was a pretty impressive bullet. For deer I think it would be a winner. But there are better and MUCH less expensive bullets.

Latest posts

Back