0.503 bullet too loose?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eltaco

Reaction score
Yesterday, I tried a Thor sizing pack on a new barrel, and found the largest 0.503 bullet slid through the barrel very easily. I might have guessed 1-2# force in some areas of the bore, and some where the weight of my 0.9# ramrod was enough to keep it moving. Before inserting to the barrel, I measured the bullet at 0.5025, but seemed to be only that size at the skirt. Above the skirt seemed undersized with my caliper. Overall, I left the experience concerned the bullet might move during hiking.

Unfortunately, it seems 0.503 is the largest size option for the bore riding conicals I’ve been looking at. I’m not sure where to go from there.

Being new to MZ, im not sure if this is a common experience. I’ll contact the manufacturer on Monday for suggestions, but im curious to hear some thoughts from the group here. Is this a common experience, and if so, what are some options for better fitment?

The pic below shows the 0.503 on the bottom. I pushed the bullet in to the breech and out the opposite way. You can see some engagement, but it’s very light.

Attachments

• 77ECC5B2-A208-4D5C-AEA9-0CBEC08193A0.jpeg
    77ECC5B2-A208-4D5C-AEA9-0CBEC08193A0.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back