06 Turkey Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice globber Spit! :yeah:

Did he globble on the way in or was he silent?

How long is his spurs and beard?

Hunt 4 Bucks said:
Nice globber Spit! :yeah:

Did he globble on the way in or was he silent?

How long is his spurs and beard?

TOM TERRIFIC?

My nose told me I was sitting in a patch of wild onions...
The air was crisp.... 55 degrees. The makings of a beautiful day.
I had been working on a Tom since first light. When I say working I mean working smart. Not too much not too little. Now he was ready to bail.
The flydown cackle came from flawlessly from the Quaker Boy. Not 30 seconds later, through the trees, I saw his ghost drop from a huge cottonwood.
On the ground at 150 his gobbles sounded farther away than when he was on the roost. Now to close the distance....

The morning air had been void of any competition....that is until now. The Tom now on the ground, suddenly seemed to have his choice of what appeared to be a dozen loud obnocious hens. My ass was planted in the onions while they were on the move. I lost the first battle as the hens drug him away.

The yelps strangely never seemed to stop. For some reason one of the hens could not keep her beak shut. Soon she was answering my yelps. Not in challenge, but more like...hey girl, sup?

He came silently, just following the two hens he was with. The vocal hen on the otherhand, was answering my yelps and purrrr's. They drug him along like a ball and chain. This trio was trying to locate me and it appeared they would miss my location by 80 yards or so. A little purrring gave them my general location and the vocal hen brought him right in. The hens were almost in my lap before the Tom presented a shot. And though he came in silent, he stayed in full strut.
My Primos Cuttin 2.5 (fave) brought him out of strut and THAT was his last gobble.

His stats:
1 1/4 x 10 1/2 x 26#
30 yards
Winchester Super X Turkey 3" #5

No TOM TERRIFIC in MY book, but a nice bird none the less.

I love shooting them......just hate eating them.
From now on I'm gonna breast em' out and give em' away.

It would have been great on film. 8)

Hope you get your TOM TERRIFIC! :wink:

Well I went opening day here in NE (last weekend). I didn't even carry a gun! Took my father in law out and the landowners grandson. Called in 3 mature toms and they each took one.

Here is my in-laws bird. It was his first time ever turkey hunting. Hope he doesn't always think its this easy.

19 lbs 3/4 in. spurs 8 in. beard
From appearances and weight I believe its a rio. (we have eastern and hybrids around also)

396729.JPG

I am planning on going back out Saturday to try and get one of my birds.

Elkstalkr

Congrats on the fine hunt!
WOW! 3 birds. Thats got to make you feel good.
Your a great guy to help them out. 8) It's really worth it all isn't it? :D

Yea it was a lot of fun. It was the grandson's first turkey too!!!! So that made it really cool, both of them fill thier first tags with nice toms.

We got lucky with those birds. Right place and right time.

I actually called up 5 jakes about 45 minutes prior to that. In-law missed one and we decided to move to the adjacent field.

We snuck up to the next field to find about 25 turkeys out there strutting and feeding. We laid prone, held the decoys in front of us and I hit the call. Those big boys came running when they saw moving hens over there!

This is actually the second time I have used that technique. Lay flat and hold the decoy in front of me and move it around. That seems to really fool them. Of course I wouldn't reccommend this technique on public property!

Great picture and hunt elkstalkr

With 3 birds you know you are doing everything just right.

That's what hunting is all about, sharing the experience. :yeah:

CONGRATS on your Turkey Kills Spit, Elkstalkr, snuffy, nutt & any others I may have missed. Fine trophies to be proud of for sure!! :yeah:

PA's Season opens next Saturday (4/29). Cant make opener. Have first several days of May scheduled to get out. Our Season runs 4/29-5/27.

Hampton, IA ...

It seems that I always think I know exactly where to set-up only to discover that if I'm going to get a shot at one, I've got to go to him. Last Thursday was no different. By 6:45 I knew it was time to move. About 250 yards later I popped up from the creek bed to scan the field. As luck would have it, I saw movement and dropped to my knees. Before long, 4 Jakes were scattered 20-40 yards away. About 15 minutes later, along came a mature bird. Because they were so close, I never made a call, but the mature bird wasn't close enough. After about 40 minutes, the Jakes started working away from me, and just like their arrival, the mature bird let them lead and then he started to follow. Once he started moving away, I made my first call with a button/plunger call. That bird made a u-turn that proved to be fatal. He took a dirt nap at 26 yards in mid-gobble. 24# bird, 10" beard, but 3/4' spurs.

Friday, I took ole'Dick out. I told him we'd take a Jake if the opportunity presented itself - at 88 you can't get too picky. By 9 AM we hadn't had any action. I drove the truck to the top of our only ridge, and we walked 150 yards to a grassey knoll. No response to my calls, so I told Dick I was going to go down to the edge of the field and scan the perimeter. (This was across the field where I got my bird the day before). Nothing there, so back up I went and met up with Dick. I told him, "Let's give it one more try." I pulled out the box call, and in a flash we had a gobble. This was one of those times when I learned why you carry several different calls. They never responded again to the box call, not to the button call, but they loved the friction call. Two Jakes came in. They were within 20 yards. I could clearly see one of them, but Dick never did. It would have had to go about 6 more feet to be in the opening. We called it a successful day even without a bird. Dick called tonight to say he was going to sit in a blind on Monday. He really likes the red-dot set-up, so I'll be dropping my gun off for him to use.

4/26 is the start of our 4th and final season and the plan is to hunt near Montezuma.

Happy hunting! cob

Back