1:28 twist and PRB questions please

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallbald

Reaction score
Excited about my new Optima V2 pistol. Thanks for all the responses to my other questions. I was under the impression that a fast twist meant for sabot loads like the 1:28 my Optima V2 pistol has will just not work well with patched round ball. Sadly, the PRB would be ideal for a bench shooter like me due to the low cost per shot. In searching old threads here I see others discussing their success with PRB and lighter loads in what I am thinking are modern inline guns. Was I mistaken to think PRB would offer little accuracy in a gun like mine? Thanks. Don

The trick to patched roundball and a fast twist barrel is the amount of powder. Too much powder and you push the patch and ball so fast that it skips the riifling. If you slow it down, it spins the ball and accuracy can be exceptional. I have a Knight LK-II with the 1-28 twist and in .50 caliber. I shoot a .490 roundball with 50 grains of powder.

DSCN4524.jpg

No I have a 4x scope on the rifle. I was trying to hit that turkey in the head. Just a hair high.. :D

If I were you I would load 40 grains of powder (because of the short barrel) and try a .490 ball and patch. To make loading easy use a .015 patch. I think that pistol will surprise you.

DSCN4519.jpg

I have three Knight LK rifles. All of them scoped. I have pushed a roundball up to 70 grains. I was actually looking at his rifle as a youth hunters rifle. Because of the stock design and such. So when my friends kids want to use a muzzleloader for deer, I can loan them something that at moderate ranges will be friendly to shoot and deadly when it hits. I am a big fan of shooting black powder. This rifle would hunt.

Hey! This is wonderful news to me and I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. My wife (and I too) enjoy quilting and together frequent a local fabric shop (A chain called Hancock's). Is .015 inch ticking for patches a common fabric? I believe it must be 100% cotton, right? I'm told the bore on my Optima V2 pistol measures right at .502. How much thickness above ball size is needed with PRB shooting. Thanks once more. Don

For patches I use 100% cotton red or blue stripe pillow tick cloth. They make pillows out of it. You have to wash it to get the sizing out of it. Then line dry it. It usually mics out at about .017-.018 thickness and it works great. For a lube if you can spit, you can shoot. Put the end of the patch in your mouth and then suck it dry before you load it. Or mix some olive oil and a little water. I personally use moose milk. Which is made with castor oil. It works real good for me. If you want the recipe, just ask.

Cayuga that would be great. Also, I see you are an administrator. Where in the forum would be best to discuss Ruger Old Army revolver interests please? Don

Here are two ways to make Moose Milk. I have used them both. I like the Castor Oil method only because there is very little measuring. But both work real good.

LIQUID MOOSE MILK

Stumpy's Moose Milk

A general purpose black powder solvent and liquid patch lube. Shake well before using

Castor Oil 4 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap 1 oz.
Witch Hazel 4 oz.
Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) 8 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) 16 oz.

I dip my patching in this twice and let it dry between. I lay my strips out over old window screen. Makes a semi-dry patch material that's easy to carry & use. If you don't mind carrying a little bottle it's a GREAT liquid lube as is.

Be sure when making the Moose milk to mix the alcohol and castor oil together first. Then add the witch hazel. Add all of this to the water and shake. Finally after that mixture is all together add the Murphy?s oil soap.

This is another way to make it if you have no Castor Oil...

NAPA Moose Milk

4 ounces NAPA Auto Parts #765-1526 Soluble Cutting & Grinding Oil
1 ounce Murphy's Oil Soap
7 ounces 91% Isopropyl alcohol
16 ounces tap water

traditionalrifles027.jpg

you can wet spritz the moose milk on the strip of patch.

traditionalrifles028-1.jpg

center the ball over the barrel.

traditionalrifles029.jpg

using a short starter seat it

traditionalrifles030.jpg

pinch the material together and then cut the patch material off under your fingers. You now have a perfectly centered patch. Then just drive it home on top of the powder charge. Again, due to the face a pistol is harder to load... build a pistol stand that you set the pistol up in. Or you could use a thinner patch material like muslin cloth which is a little thinner and would make the pistol easier to load. But you can decide what is best. It sounds like your very experienced with pistols.

As for where to hold a discussion for cap and ball revolvers.. technically it is an inline weapon, but lets put it in the Tradition/Sidelock section. We will find it and love to learn all about them. I shoot a 1858 New Navy 44 caliber L. L. Pieta target model revolver myself. Its a lot of fun to shoot them.

Thank you again. Will make some up and am going to try to get to the range week if cold and rain doesn't roll in mid week. I really appreciate all the kind advice and help. Has helped take the mystery out of loading/using this new gun. Don

Back