10 point taken with omega and dead center 240's

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiffwindpsr

Reaction score
I shot this buck Sat. afternoon at 80 yds with my new omega.No blood trail so I waited until next morning to find him.Not a monster but pretty good buck for TN.

mboro10point021.jpg

very good TN whitetail, good shooting.........Blake

Question, what is a PR240?

The reason I ask is that I want to stay away from them, I like 2 holes in animals that I shoot, one going in and one going out. I have been using Barnes 250 gr spitfires, I think that is the correct weight, I shoot high shoulder and have not yet recovered a bullet.........Blake

That is a great buck!! I sure would never have passed a buck like that.

What kind of powder charge were you shooting? Perhaps the angle you hit caused the no pass through. A lot of these deer if you do not poke a hole all the way through them, they just do not bleed. How far did it actually run?

Again, that is a nice buck. Congratulations.

Nice DEER!

PR=Precision Rifle...ie probably a Dead Center 240gr.

The bullet was a dead center240gr shot over 2 777 pellets with 777 primer.The deer ran about 80 yds with absolutely zero blood trail.I intentionally shot the deer through the near shoulder to try and break him down where he stood, that's probably why I didn't get a pass through.It wrecked the top of the heart and both lungs though. For some reason I rarely get much of a bloodtrail with a m'loader????

SUPER BUCK :yeah:

Our season here in INDIANA dosn't start untill 11-17
I hope I see one that nice wouldn't pass up

CONGRATS

LB

Got it, thanks. I have never had a bullet to stay in an animal bet it frontstuffer or centerfire. Do you guys normally have bullets that don't exit. My buddies dad shot a dink 6 point Saturday at 20 yards (150 grains powder, 335 platnum power belt) that bullet did not exit, it exploded. The deer was dead right there, so no tracking. I told them that the bullet failed and they called me crazy. I asked what would have happend if the deer ran off. Made them think a little.........Blake

That PB Platinum at 338 gr would have probably went through with 100 gr of powder behind it. Most of the deer I shot with the 348 gr original PB did anyway.

Congrats on a great buck! I hope I see one that big on Sat.

I've never recovered a centerfire bullet in my lifetime and only recovered 2 mloader bullets.I do normally blow through what I shoot at but I always shoulder shoot good bucks so they'll throw out the anchor pretty quick.I don't know of a deeper penetrator than the barnes solid copper spitfires and I've recovered one of those as well.

mboro10point024.jpg

Hello,

As a general rule, I have always gotten better blood trails with ML than with centerfire. All the way back to the days of the patched .490 ball, progressing to the Knight 260 grain lead HP, and now to the 200 grain Shockwave over 110 grains of 777 2f out of my SS Disc Elite. 15 kills with this rifle have ranged from 5 yards at a height of 30 feet from my Summit, to a long of 211 lazered yards. All were complete pass throughs with good expansion, good organ damage, and no blow up at close range.

I do have some recovered .490 balls and 260 grain Knight bullets that held together well and did the job with one hole, still leaving a good blood trail. Keep in mind that those projectiles of .45 caliber go in making a bigger hole than most centerfires exit.

I prefer the SW 40/50 200 in my rifle. It has always been about .75 inch for 5 shots at 100 yards and at 2050 fps, gives me hold on to 200 with a + 3 zero.

Thanks, and great Tennessee buck, or anywhere in the SE for that matter. He has really great mass and a beautiful bladed tine. You will fondly recall that day when you gaze at him on your wall.

bomtek44

I've found that most high shoulder hits don't leave much of a blood trail (even centerfire). They usually bleed internaly.

Latest posts

Back