100gr pyrodex pellets/ 290 Barnes tmz/elk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a guy on another website asking if his load has got enough power to kill an elk out to 200 yards.

He is using 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and a 290 gr Barnes (copper) Spitfire TMZ. I told them I thought he was good, but what I don't know is if the bullet will open well at 200 yards. That would be my only question. If it pencils through at that range/velocity, it might need to be tweeked. He is going to try 150 gr of pellets, but if he can avoid that, it would sure be better.

txhunter58 said:
Have a guy on another website asking if his load has got enough power to kill an elk out to 200 yards.

He is using 100 gr of pyrodex pellets and a 290 gr Barnes (copper) Spitfire TMZ. I told them I thought he was good, but what I don't know is if the bullet will open well at 200 yards. That would be my only question. If it pencils through at that range/velocity, it might need to be tweeked. He is going to try 150 gr of pellets, but if he can avoid that, it would sure be better.
Go with loose powder . 120 gr. and that Barnes is good for an elk out to 250 yards .

We tried to get him to try powder, but he wants to use pellets. And he is getting fantastic accuracy with 100 gr of pellets.

You don't have to convince me, I have never used pellets in my life, but he likes them and is hoping that load would be good to go.

txhunter58 said:
We tried to get him to try powder, but he wants to use pellets. And he is getting fantastic accuracy with 100 gr of pellets.

You don't have to convince me, I have never used pellets in my life, but he likes them and is hoping that load would be good to go.
Should be good to 200

I have a friend who shoots two triple 777 pellets out of his Omega with a 240 grn xtp with great accuracy. I also tried talking him into trying loose powder. He said he didn't want to change something that works. Tough to argue with the logic.

rangerod said:
I have a friend who shoots two triple 777 pellets out of his Omega with a 240 grn xtp with great accuracy. I also tried talking him into trying loose powder. He said he didn't want to change something that works. Tough to argue with the logic.
True but if you want to make sure you have enough energy to do the job at an extended range then changing powder should be a simple choice to achieve that. But a 100 gr should be ok to 200 yds

If he likes pellets, then have him try T7M pellets. At 60grs per pellet, he can use 2 pellets for a 120gr charge. You need approximately 1,100fps in velocity for a Barnes TMZ - T-EZ to faithfully expand.

In my opinion from what i have seen whilst hunting, 90g Blackhorn isn't good enough for 150 yard. This includes the deer you helped haul out those years ago on the refuge. That day the load was 90g Blackhorn, and the (unknown) range was about 150 yard; that deer ran out there forever; luckily i found it out away on the open prairie. The bullet that day was a 260g Nosler. Tissue damage was negligible. Other deer killed at longer ranges, showed poor bullet performance with 90g Blackhorn. Two pellets pyrodex isn't as much energy as 90g Blackhorn............is it?

Again, opinion only, to get good bullet performance out 200 yard to me, requires a hefty amount of powder; two pellets is really way less than 100g isn't it? Be assured, i know nothing about pellets. Barnes, and XTP, may fail to expand? Two pellets used with a 450g full bore conical is a different i think, and would work. No strong opinion; just thoughts.

So does anyone know what the approximate velocity of a 290 TMZ would be fired with 100 gr of pyrodex pellets at 200 yards??

Looking at powerbelts ballistics, it says that you can shoot a 295 aerotip powerbelt with 100 gr pyrodex pellets and you will still have 1103 FPS at 200 yards. That should be pretty close I think?

txhunter58 said:
So does anyone know what the approximate velocity of a 290 TMZ would be fired with 100 gr of pyrodex pellets at 200 yards??
About 1200 fps or thereabouts and close to 1000 fpe
Borderline in my book but with a good accurate shot would be sufficient .

The answers I get are interesting to me because I hope to have a trophy elk tag in Utah someday as well. And that is one of the bullets I had considered using. Prob use around 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 in my gun. I will be making the choice between a similar set up and a smaller load of BH with a 460 gr Bullshop.

But since you can shoot with a scope in Utah and the barnes should be flatter shooting........... something to consider

This is a Barnes 290 gr T-EZ bullet fired from a CVA Accura MR at a buck approximately 40/45 yards away using 2 pellets of T7. Deer went about 30 yards & piled up.
IMG_3273.jpg

As I think back for a way to answer this question I often remember the old Jim Shockey hunting shows. He hunted elk, bear, moose, etc with a Knight Rifle, a Nosler bullet and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS for years until he began selling his name to on manufacturer brands, then he went to T/C Rifles and Jim Shockey Gold powder. He used to shoot some amazing animals back then at some amazing distances and seemed to have no problems. But I don't have the in field experience nor ballistic background to say, I have used that load and it worked. Just my two cents.

Some of the answers are very interesting.

Latest posts

Back