-11 Deg. F + 5yr. Old+Deer Hunt=MEMORIES

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
I decided this summer that after the general buck season I would take my 5 yr. old son along on some of the any deer days with either the muzzle loader or the shotgun. I thought it would be prudent to utilize the added concealment of a ground blind. I purchased a Double Bull Matrix blind. I am very happy to report that it performed flawlessly!

The Blind and the Boy

matrixblind.jpg

What I hadn't planned on was the frigid arctic blast we had on Tuesday night into Wednesday. We woke to temps. that which I have never hunted in during my 25 years of hunting. My whole idea was to make my sons first deer hunt fun and productive and the unusual cold blast was less than ideal. I put a little propane heater in the blind and 2 collapsable lounge chairs in the blind. I had been baiting an area pretty heavy the week prior to keep deer sightings up and Tuesday eve we headed out. At 4 PM we had 2 deer come in and after close inspection we determined they were button bucks and while my son really wanted me to shoot I convinced him that they might be next years buck so we should let them walk. Some turkeys then came in (10 ft. from the blind) and spooked the 2 buck fawns away. Right about now I was starting to second guess my decision not to shoot the little ones when a small doe came in. I checked for nubs and told Travis I was going to shoot... Man was he totally excited!!!

Our first Father and Son Kill

DSC01749Medium.jpg

View From the Blind

DSC01745Medium.jpg

Comfort of the Blind

DSC01755Medium.jpg

The next morning we got to the blind just before sun-up and it was wicked cold -11 on my truck thermometer!!! I gotta give the little guy credit he made it until 9 AM and we didn't see a thing... We went to the cabin for some hot cocoa and a nap and were back in the blind by 2:30. At 4 PM a group of 3 came in and I took the biggest of the lot.

Second Father and Son Kill

DSC01760Medium.jpg

It's really nice when a plan comes together. I can honestly say it was the best day and a half of hunting I have ever had. On the way home he said thanks for finally taking me Dad I'll never forget it... I think I'll be smiling for a month!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

DSC01746Medium.jpg

What a GREAT story! FANTASTIC! :D

BTW...EXCELLENT SHOT! :yeah:

You will have a hunting companion for life! I started my boy out when he was 5, Man was he a tuff little burger!When I was your boys age, that was what dreams were made of! I think I would have froze to death instead of staying home! It will not be much longer and he will be pulling that trigger! I wish you and your son many happy memories!

Congrats to the both of you VE nice story and nice pics. Joe :D

Congrats! Looks like you guys had a fun time. :D I'm hoping to start taking Aidan next year. I'll have to get a little pop up blind and a heater. Might make it more enjoyable for him. Thanks for the ideas.

I think your well on your way to having a great lifetime hunting partner Jim.

Outstanding! My Son was 5 when I took him on his first hunt. I can still see his face after he saw me shoot the buck. It's something I'll NEVER forget and I expect you'll have similar memories. He's 16 now and has been my hunting partner all these years. We have our disagreements and don't see eye to eye on everything (who did at that age), but deer hunting is one thing we look forward to doing together all year. In fact, I had to work and missed opening weekend. My Buddy offered to take him but my Son replied "No thanks. I just wouldn't enjoy it as much without my Dad being there". We went 2nd season and he took a small buck. Great stuff.

Latest posts

Back