150 grains of pellets equals how much loose powder ???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking at CVA's site they say the optima is rated for "..... Your CVA gun utilizes a 209 shotgun shell primer to ignite the powder charge (or musket caps in appropriate markets). It is fully magnum capable*. This means that you can use the “magnum” charge of 150 grains equivalent of pelletized blackpowder substitutes ....." .
https://cva.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Universal-Manualrev11.20.15.pdf
i have 777 fffg powder and some 777 pellets and i'm wondering what volume of 777 fffg powder will equal 150 grains of pellets . i know it won't be 150 grains by weight or volume . i think i read somewhere (i don't recall where) about %80 . soooo 120 grains ??? i have a 2003 model so i don't know if it can handle the same load size as the new models ..... maybe more maybe less ? and FWIU bullet weight plays a factor exp. a heavier bullet creates more pressure for the given powder charge because more weight requires more pressure to get it moving .

i'll be shooting 250-300 grain bullets for deer . i doubt i'd ever want to use the max charge for them ..... but if i want to push the envelope for what my gun can handle or to see how much recoil i can handle i want to know what the optima can safely handle .

also ..... FWIU measuring by volume is fine for hunting/shooting 200 yards and under but going past 200 yards weighing the charge can produce more accuracy ...... is that mostly correct ?

thanks , jeff
In my gun 3 pellets = 1911 fps. 100g loose BH = 1956 fps. 245g bullets.

There is no such thing as a grain of volume. Grain is a unit of measurement of weight. Dram is a unit of measurement of volume, not commonly used anymore. There is no conversion factor from weight to volume
A dram is the avoirdupois unit of weight not volume. A dram equals 27.344 grains of weight according to Britannica. There is also a measurement of liquid dram but that doesn't apply to shooting. X

Back