1st elk trip with ML, couple questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdfish1

Reaction score
I have an unused tc bone collector from 10 years ago with a omega scope. I will need to replace the scope with open sights to meet colorado rules. Any foolproof recommendations for mid 50s guy with so so eyesight?

I just bought 777 powder but have learned buckhorn is better, or it seems but I’m going to use what I already bought and test with 100-120 grains, you agree?. My friends use powerbelt platinum 270 grain bullets and have had good success. Seems some advantage to using the same bullet and powder as friends in case you need to borrow or share a load while remote on a trip but I am questioning whether this is a good enough bullet for elk, seems light and reviews so so. thoughts?

other tips are appreciated. By the way, I said I used. I did shoot this gun to sight it back in the day with 295 gr powerbelt hollow points and it shot great. I have lots of these bullets left but assume the HP isn’t good for elk and at 200 yards???

Alot of guys like the blackthorn 209 I believe for the reason of less fouling and being able to load multiple shots without swabbing between shots. In a hunting situation T7 is just fine, you'll be lucky to get a second shot let alone a 3rd. I can shoot 3 shots with T7 but the 3rd is a pain to seat with the infamous crud ring, I just wanted to do it to see if I were able to get multiple shots off. I'm going to use federal borelocks, 270 grain with the copper jacket or 420 no excuses once I figure out how the no excuses shoot. I wouldn't consider HPs. for elk, even at close distances. Your limited on what bullets you can shoot out there so buy a couple different kinds and test them out of your gun.

need to replace the scope with open sights to meet colorado rules.
This may work. The sight has lots of adjustment. Often, one finds there are sights which don't have enough adjustment for one's rifle, and load. The sight works well on the TC Omega rifle; should be great on the Bone Collector.

Should you decide not to use a power belt bullet, an item which may be a great help is the MMP SABOTS : Store : 50 Cal BBSB Ballistic Bridge Sub-Base/50 Pcs which will overcome the inaccuracy caused by the QLA of your rifle

Open sights & eyes are certainly limiting factors.
Here is some comparable data on bullet paths with 45, sorry I’ve never done such with 50’s.
Good luck.

Attachments

• F15AB92A-B62E-4F34-8DED-939D3D8B0AFA.jpeg
    F15AB92A-B62E-4F34-8DED-939D3D8B0AFA.jpeg
    74.2 KB · Views: 18
I am doing a Muzzy deer hunt this year in CO. I have recently purchased the Williams Western front a rear sight package. Still working on a bulle. The Hornady FPB shot really well out of my Encore but they have been discontinued. I have stocked up on a bunch and if I do not find something I like better I may just use them. The Fury is one I am also looking at.

I think this would be a good elk bullet. Its a full bore .503 450 grains from Mr. Hollowpoint. My interest in this is to find a bullet that will retain maximum energy at distance. I only have a few and am thinking of asking Ron to do a capture with this one.

I used 64g(w) (about 80g by volume) of the dreaded T7 with a cardboard wad going down the barrel first and a wool .54 wad second. Then the bullet with NASA lube. Im shooting from a .50 Knight Elite. At 90 yards they use the same hole. I am going to increase powder charge to see if I can get more velocity. But not ready for that yet. According to Mr. Hollowpoint (Bob) they are pure lead.

I believe there is about a 10 day turn around on orders right now.

PICT0001.JPG

Hope this helps.

I have heard horror stories about Power point bullets. I've never used them. I believe that for elk, you want a high sectional density to get penetration. My rule is somewhere around .280. For a .50 caliber that is close to 500 gr. No Excuses bullets work. I have friends that have shot cows with Federal Bor-loc with success, but I believe they are too light. Thor bullets are also highly recommended, but expensive. Those Mr. Hollowpoint bullets look every good. Snapbang, please send a couple to Ron, and do you know the velocity you got with 64 gr. weighed?

I may have to try some of his conicals. They are not terribly expensive.
452-365-pic.jpg

452-5.jpg

Snapbang, please send a couple to Ron, and do you know the velocity you got with 64 gr. weighed?
I just sent Ron a PM. So I will keep you posted.
I do not know the velocity but guess its around 1300fps. I only bought a few of them as part of a sample pack. Only have 3 left but Ill order more in the future.

Bob (Mr. Hollowpoint) is very helpful. You may want to go to his site and look at a few other bullets you may be interested in and ask him for a sample pack. He is generous wih sample packs and when he sends me bullets he throws in 5-6 of another bullet to try.

Ron said sent them. So they will be in the mail to him as soon as I can get to a Post office.

This is an edit. I cant get to the PO until Thursday. I am baby sitting my 1 1/2 year old Grandson. I leave home at 5am and get back at 5 pm. So Ill ship on Thursday.

Last edited:
GM54-120.

I may have access to those .452 365 g. If I can get them do you want me to send them to you? Only about 5-6 of them.

I have found almost every heavy slug I’ve shot elk with, under the hide on the opposite side of the entrance hole. I shoot a homemade mold bullet similar to a 460 grain No Excuses.
I did shoot a cow a couple of years ago with a 250 grain TC shockwave at about 175 yards, and got a complete pass through. She went about 30-40 yards and was done, but I don’t think they’re legal in CO

I have an unused tc bone collector from 10 years ago with a omega scope. I will need to replace the scope with open sights to meet colorado rules. Any foolproof recommendations for mid 50s guy with so so eyesight?

I just bought 777 powder but have learned buckhorn is better, or it seems but I’m going to use what I already bought and test with 100-120 grains, you agree?. My friends use powerbelt platinum 270 grain bullets and have had good success. Seems some advantage to using the same bullet and powder as friends in case you need to borrow or share a load while remote on a trip but I am questioning whether this is a good enough bullet for elk, seems light and reviews so so. thoughts?

other tips are appreciated. By the way, I said I used. I did shoot this gun to sight it back in the day with 295 gr powerbelt hollow points and it shot great. I have lots of these bullets left but assume the HP isn’t good for elk and at 200 yards???
Try a pair of +1 or +1.5 reading glasses from Walmart. I have to wear them to shoot my bow. I find I can see the pins ok and that lower magnification doesn’t blur the target significantly enough to make it difficult to hold on the bullseye consistently

777 is the powder I'd use for a Colorado elk hunt. If you go with Blackhorn you will need to be 100% sure you got it sealed up before the powder starts burning (Blackhorn209 doesn't like leaky systems... even leaks at the projectile...). There are ways to seal conical bullets and use Blackhorn 209 (there are a bunch of experts in that regard on this site). But if you use 777 there really is no need to worry about obturation. I've had cutstomers think they had blackhorn209 sealed up at the range, but when they went on their colorado hunt, they ended up at high elevations in cold temps and their rifles went click on nice bulls because their system lost its seal... thus why I'd use 777. its pretty fool proof with conicals.

Also, as it seems you already know... the suggest to to use Sabots isn't Colorado legal... thus your looking at conicals. Though I use land love the MMPs myself (but I've yet to hunt Colorado elk).

I'd myself go with a copper solid, or a Hornady FPB (which I understand they stopped making in favor of their new copper jacketed conical with a special plastic skirt. I just like the copper solid, or copper jacketed/bonded lead core when it comes to penetration and wound chanel generation.

My .02USD . Hope you bag a big one!

Tom

Anytime i hear Colorado elk hunt, 200 yards and a Powerbelt i just cringe at the thought. Assuming you can make an ethical shot with open sights at that distance the PB has lost a huge amount of energy. Even the largest PB Plat 338gr by the time it reaches 200yards its FPS/FPE is plummeting. The claimed .275 BC seems terribly inflated.

On the other hand from a ballistics stand point, a 460ish grain lead conical is upto the task. No need for magnum loads of powder. That big chunk of lead holds its velocity pretty well even if the BC seems a bit low. Its large mass plows on through. That Mr HP in a 503 looks interesting and adequate expansion is very likely.

If you want to try a lead conical, the MMP sub base suggestion Ron made is solid advice if they wont shoot without it. A sabot with all the petals cutoff might also work. Just use the sabot base as your over powder "wad".

Anytime i hear Colorado elk hunt, 200 yards and a Powerbelt i just cringe at the thought. Assuming you can make an ethical shot with open sights at that distance the PB has lost a huge amount of energy. Even the largest PB Plat 338gr by the time it reaches 200yards its FPS/FPE is plummeting. The claimed .275 BC seems terribly inflated.

On the other hand from a ballistics stand point, a 460ish grain lead conical is upto the task. No need for magnum loads of powder. That big chunk of lead holds its velocity pretty well even if the BC seems a bit low. Its large mass plows on through. That Mr HP in a 503 looks interesting and adequate expansion is very likely.

If you want to try a lead conical, the MMP sub base suggestion Ron made is solid advice if they wont shoot without it. A sabot with all the petals cutoff might also work. Just use the sabot base as your over powder "wad".

lots of good advice, appreciate it. I will say, one of the members in my hunting group uses the same load I am describing, 120 t7 with a pb 270 gr platinum and I saw him make 220 yard shot at the biggest bull he’s killed and it ran 50-60 yards and piled up dead. Personally, I would not have taken that shot and don’t think he could do it a second time but shot placement was perfect, always the key, and we ranged the distance to be sure.

personally, I’m looking for a combo capable of effectively taking down an elk at 200 yards but that doesn’t mean I intend to take a 200 yard shot.

Last edited:
Dont forget to use felt wads under your bullets or at least run some test loads with and without

I took a Colorado elk with my Knight MK85 and 370gr TC Maxiballs.

I used the factory mounted sights but later wished I had used a peep sight with a larger sight hole instead.

Scan 2.jpeg

Latest posts

Back