1st kill with blackhorn209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyman

Reaction score
i got the following buck on 12/29 here in NJ. i was shooting an Omega, 73 weighted grains of blackhorn, CCI209M primers, 250grn hornady SST, black harvester crush rib sabots. shot distance was @80 yds, quartering. clean pass through ribs, deer ran 25 yards before dropping. temp was upper 20s, perfect ignition

muzzybuck.jpg

congrats on the buck ..i see u have no snow on the ground ..did the SST pencil through ???? was the exit hole bigger than the entry ??? did u have a blood trail ???? sorry for all of the questions ,but the more infos we get from kills the better it is for all of us ..

Congratulations on the buck. It looks like the Shockwave did what it was supposed to do. We are always curious of how well the Shockwave performs because we read horror stories of the bullet too.. Nice buck there!!!

Nice job on the buck. I am also interested in how the bullet performed, if it expanded well, or just passed through. Thanks.

the bullet mushroomed. pencil hole in and 1.5" exit hole. the lungs were pretty well torn up. no other bones hit other than the ribs. he only ran about 25 yards then piled up. i'm definitely sticking with this set up. last year i shot a doe with the same bullet/sabot and pinnacle powder at 35 yards. the bullet didn't exit but the deer dropped where it stood.

Congrats on a fine buck.

I too have had/seen nothing but good results with the 250 and 300gr SST. It is only the .40/200gr that has given me questionable results.

Hey im a little jealous havent had my first BH209 kill, good job nice looking animal

Back