1st time hunting w/ muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpmike6656

Reaction score
My wife and I have wanted to do a wild boar hunt for several years now. We found a nice preserve in W. Pa. called DoubleBoar Ranch. It's located in Shippenville which is about 60mi. into Pa. on I-80.
We booked the hunt in late 2010 with owner Russ Ulrey and his wife Debbie. They have a beautiful guest lodge on the property as well and we spent the night before the hunt there.
The weather was fairly cold, in the low single digits at night, and the day of the hunt was windy but clear and sunny.
We are bowhunters for the most part and spend most of the fall in the trees. This hunt was spot and stalk, a real change from what we're used to doing. I've been to Colorado and Montana for elk but that was 20yrs. ago. My wife and I went to N.Mex. back in '05 where she shot a cow elk on the NRA's Whittington Cntr. I've also done a couple of mid winter bow hunts in Tx. for hogs and javelina. Spot and stalk is challenging and a lot of fun!
I had wanted to use my bow for the hunt and then decided to use the T/C Triumph my wife won 2yrs. ago at a Whitetails Unlmtd. dinner instead. We had put a Leupold 3x9 ballistic plex scope on it but I decided to do the hunt with open sights. Sighted in at 50yds. I put enough bullets down range to be confident of a good shot.
We hunted hard from 8am until noon, went in for lunch, and got back after it around 1pm. While we saw hogs several times during the morning we could never get close enough for a shot. They were running in large groups and had been hunted hard the previous day. Still it was a fun morning with a new gun in hand!
When we set out after lunch our guide took us to an area where a bear had been seen earlier in the day. Luck was with us and we got some good pics of Mr. Blackie, all 400lbs. of him, at about 40yds. Food is still available and the boar bears don't seem to want to hibernate. We left the bear and continued on.
We had several more close calls with 2 large groups about 2:30pm. and again no luck. Now we were down to our last 2 1/2 hours. As we were trying to decide our best options, a group of 3 hogs came across a small open field and started rooting around a pine tree. I did a nice stalk and ended up with a 40yd. broadside shot. She ran about 60yds. and piled up! My 1st ever muzzleloader kill. I hit her just behind the right shoulder and instantly there was blood pouring down her side. I knew she wouldn't go far.
Less than 100yds. later my wife got her shot using her deer rifle and our day was complete.
I highly recommend DoubleBoar Ranch! Yes, it's a paid hunt and we felt like we got our $$ worth and more. Go to www.doubleboarranch.com and take a look at the quality of animals. They have a nice video of 3 different hunts. The hunting portion of the property is 170 acres and due to the terrain and thick woods it hunts much larger and harder.
I used a T/C Triumph with 2 pellets of triple 7, a Barnes 290gr. TMZ, and Fusion 209 primer. Pretty basic and fool proof for a beginning ML hunter. I'd like to add a pic but don't see how to do it.

Sounds like you both had a good hunt and have lots of pork to eat. Congratulations.

congradulation .... also you could not have gone wrong with the winning combination [I used a T/C Triumph with 2 pellets of triple 7, a Barnes 290gr. TMZ ]

How do I post a picture to go w/ the story? Thanks for the replies guys. I highly recommend a hog hunt as a great off season adventure.

Latest posts

Back