1X or Red Dot for Wisconsin hunt.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elite-50

Reaction score
Booked a hunt in Wisconsin for my wife and I, muzzleloader season. Limited to 1X power on scopes. Which and what brand do you guys recommend? Most likely will use it for this trip and then off to the gun cabinet.

I like the 1X scope better than the Red Dot. I have used both. I have an older Pentax 1X Shotgun Scope that I really like. I believe Burris still offers a 1X Scope. I was not as accurate with the Red Dot as it covered too much of the target for my liking.

I am from Wi. and without a doubt a 1x is better it gives you an extra 10 minutes of shooting time, I have several Nikon 1x buckmasters they are a good scope but of course only 1x and the limits how far you can shoot.
Redclub

Thanx guys, That's pretty much what I figured. Been looking at the Nikon Buckmaster. Any chance Wisconsin might lift the limits on the scope restriction? Several states have.

elite-50 said:
Thanx guys, That's pretty much what I figured. Been looking at the Nikon Buckmaster. Any chance Wisconsin might lift the limits on the scope restriction? Several states have.

Not in near future, Wish they would
Redclub

I have a Nikon 1x20mm on a White .504, a Traditions 1x32mm on a White Bison, a 1x32mm Thompson Center Hawkins on a Renegade, a 1x32mm Thompson Center Hawkins on a White Model 97 .451, and a 1x32mm Traditions on a Remington Geneses.

I've also had Red Dots on two other rifles and they were removed and replaced with 2.5x20mm and a 4x32mm on the other. I threw one of the Red Dots on a Ruger .44 mag Redhawk revolver and it works fine there. The other a put on a 7.62x39mm SKS and it works fine there. (I don't hunt with them).

All of the three mentioned are good 1x scopes. I would recommend the scope over the RED DOT hands down. In fact if you want a red dot, let me know.. I am ready to trade. I like the Nikon because of the quality of glass, but all of them do exactly what they are intended to do. They are a aiming tool and nothing more.

Genesis-2.jpg

I picked up a pair of "used" T/C 1X32's from another site, Very clear, just going to take some getting used to with the zero magnification. Putting one on a Disc rifle and the other, for my wife, on a new Accura. Hell I better get started, less than 11 months to go!!!!!

The Thompson Center is a good scope. You're going to like it. I started getting the Traditions because for $50.00 they are being sold new. For that price I figured.. why not. So far they have been holding up well.

For some reason I have a heck of a time with fiber optic sights. Them glowing dots just don't line up right for me at distances. I did much better with the old time buckhorn sights on the early muzzleloaders. In fact my PA Hunter has them and I can shoot that as well as any rifle out there. But I started throwing these 1x scopes on, and actually for the close shooting I do, they are all that I need.

Latest posts

Back