2 New .45s added to the Mold Collection

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Couldn’t resist on these 2, I’m a Bullet Mold ADDICT :p

Big Bullet is 525 Grains, 1.320 Long, The Little Fella is 403 Grains, 1.050 Long, Both Cast of PURE Lead
SOMoDM3l.jpg

PL6MpL4l.jpg

wsUhfram.jpg

cUcxThml.jpg

okbPnQFm.jpg

Is the 525 one of Jims.? I have that one if it is. I really like his molds. I bought the Lyman first and it cast like crap. I sent the first one back as it had a flaw in it. The second one cast ok but had shallow grease grooves that are kind of thin also. I bought jims copy of the Gov bullet and it casts awesome. and shoots very good.

These are both Lyman’s, They are Both OLD Molds that a Friend has owned for Many years. Knock On Wood, I have had Really good luck with Lyman Bullet Molds

BACO Molds are A Class Good, They are VERY PRECISE, if you order a .451 it will be .451 on the Button! And will Have a “Proof Slug” in a Little Ziplock Bag Stapled inside the Mold Box to Prove that it Casts what you asked for. BACO uses Saeco Mold Blocks, Which comes My ONLY complaint, and that is the Location of the Sprue Nut on the Saeco Blocks, I Don’t like the Swing/Opening of the Sprue Plate AT ALL! this is Obviously Not BACO’s Fault, Simply the design of Saeco Mold Blocks.

Have you ever had the nut come loose that holds the sprue plate as you swing it open? I have one that gets too loose and drives me crazy. Paul jones used the same blocks but reverse threads on that part.

Nice bullets Lewis, is that 425 gr. A 451 dia.? I got some 450 ,525 gr, gg from buffalo arms that I trye'd in my A.Henry ,by the way how deep are the groves? Be watching for a report on these babies.

What are the Lyman mold numbers?
That 525 looks familiar, but can’t recall where I’ve seen the nose profile.
Thanks- they look good.

I take it your going to size these down to 450.

:lewis: Yes on these for initial testing, I size per bore, So they just “Kiss” the Rifling on the Way Down.

It’s not ideal to Have to Size .457-.459 Bullets down to .449-.450, Some advise against it. But fact is you can definitely do it, And Accuracy has been AWESOME for me. A Lot Depends on the Bullet Design? If it is an “Inset” Lube Groove Design, or one with “Exterior” Bands, This Can make a difference in how Easily they size. The KEY is Plenty of Lube All over the Bullet (I use a Lube Pad), and SPEED through the Sizer. I even Pre Lube the inside of my Sizing Die. Depending on the Lube Groove design? I might size them in 2 Steps, .454, then .450, With PLENTY of Lube, and SPEED, These Bullets will Go Through the Sizer EFFORTLESSLY.

Try the above method with NO LUBE, and Go Slow. If you are a Quick learner, You will only do that one time :) It’s almost guaranteed that the Bullet will get STUCK in the Die, If by Chance you get it Through? The Bullet will be RUINED! The Base will be Destroyed from the Push Rod, and you will have “Finning” Down the Sides of the Bullet, Totally Ruining it.

:lewis: Yes on these for initial testing, I size per bore, So they just “Kiss” the Rifling on the Way Down.

It’s not ideal to Have to Size .457-.459 Bullets down to .449-.450, Some advise against it. But fact is you can definitely do it, And Accuracy has been AWESOME for me. A Lot Depends on the Bullet Design? If it is an “Inset” Lube Groove Design, or one with “Exterior” Bands, This Can make a difference in how Easily they size. The KEY is Plenty of Lube All over the Bullet (I use a Lube Pad), and SPEED through the Sizer. I even Pre Lube the inside of my Sizing Die. Depending on the Lube Groove design? I might size them in 2 Steps, .454, then .450, With PLENTY of Lube, and SPEED, These Bullets will Go Through the Sizer EFFORTLESSLY.

Try the above method with NO LUBE, and Go Slow. If you are a Quick learner, You will only do that one time :) It’s almost guaranteed that the Bullet will get STUCK in the Die, If by Chance you get it Through? The Bullet will be RUINED! The Base will be Destroyed from the Push Rod, and you will have “Finning” Down the Sides of the Bullet, Totally Ruining it.

I tried doing that with my Lyman Gould bullets without lubing them a few weeks ago to confirm what I already knew. While the bullets did not get stuck in my .452 Lee sizing die they were tough to get through and finning was all around the base of the bullets. Being I pan lube my bullets I am able to size them with either my .451 or .452 Lee sizing dies with no issues. :drooling:

I tried doing that with my Lyman Gould bullets without lubing them a few weeks ago to confirm what I already knew. While the bullets did not get stuck in my .452 Lee sizing die they were tough to get through and finning was all around the base of the bullets. Being I pan lube my bullets I am able to size them with either my .451 or .452 Lee sizing dies with no issues. :drooling:

The Lyman Gould is a Good example of VERY FINE Accuracy with a Bullet that Drops at .457-.458 and then Sized Down to as far as .449 in my Case (my Rice 1:20 Twist) I have Shot Several Ragged Hole 5 Shot Groups with this Little Bullet, As i have with MANY of my other .45 Cal Bullets in this Same Size Range, Sized Down. The guy’s that feel Accuracy is Sacrificed By Sizing this Far Down are VERY WRONG! The KEY is how you go about Sizing them :lewis:

Last edited:
Here is the Gould bullet (0.457”) pre-rifled, run thru a piece of 0.451” barrel, years ago showing how the lead moves when being sized.
Normally I size after lube, bare bullet here.

D1D9E080-869E-49C0-8E37-C4DF9337A26A.jpegE06FA2F2-9D59-4A6F-BB4B-808F5A9477FB.jpeg

Good reply Lewis and 52Bore I bought different sizing dies to do this and now have 2 inch drops off of all my barrels of my builds do do this , just have to try this out. My drop off my 450 henry came from the rear of the barrel and the drop from my 50 cal interchangeable new build I am doing right now came off the front of the barrel for full sizing ,not sure what timing rotation would be involved for front end loading of a muzzleloader. Any thought on this .

Good reply Lewis and 52Bore I bought different sizing dies to do this and now have 2 inch drops off of all my barrels of my builds do do this , just have to try this out. My drop off my 450 henry came from the rear of the barrel and the drop from my 50 cal interchangeable new build I am doing right now came off the front of the barrel for full sizing ,not sure what timing rotation would be involved for front end loading of a muzzleloader. Any thought on this .

Bullet Sizing from Barrel Drops is something i have never done myself? I have read about it is all

Latest posts

Back