2 or 3 P pellets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis50cal

Reaction score
I was out shooting my genesis the other day,after changeing my scope mounts and resighting it in,I tried 3 50/50 Pyrodex pellets(I only tried this once before).Out of about a dozen shots,only about 2 or 3 times the center piece of the primers did not get pushed out to the point of the firing pin being stuck in and the torch cam not wanting to open with out being tapped on and wiggled enough for the firing pin to return.Thus freeing the torch cam.WTHeck.Manuel says 3 pellets fine,But this sure does look like over pressure to me.I was useing Fed 209's and Fusion 209 BP primers,and both did this.The Pyrdex manuel does not recommend 3,but yet I always read about every one using 3 pellets.Any helpful info out there.I will only be shooting 2 from now on,but I would like to know.Come to think of it I did try 3 sticks of JSG last year but never seemed to have this trouble.

Short answer: I hunt deer and elk, and have never needed over 100 gr of powder for anything.

As far as if the 150 gr causing your problem, never tried that much so don't know, but I suspect that it is possible.

As far as "everyone" using 150 gr, I don't have any friends that do, about 110 is the most used by the people I know.

If you really want to shoot three pellets, try a different primer. It could be that simple. If the problem continues, then I would contact the manufacturer.

I would only shoot three pellets in a knight, T/C, or a savage. These guns have been tested and proven to handle three pellets loads. I just dont trust the rest.

I shot 3 of the Pyrodex 50 gr pellets as my standard load for many years in my TC Black Diamond, Rem 700 ML, and Encore. My most accurate load was a 235 gr QT40 bullet, 150 gr of Pyrodex pellets, and a CCI musket cap. My Black Diamond and Rem 700 guns would hold MOA with that combo. I used to shoot ground hogs with it in the summer time to warm up for deer, it was great out to 200 yards.

txhunter58 said:
Short answer: I hunt deer and elk, and have never needed over 100 gr of powder for anything.

As far as if the 150 gr causing your problem, never tried that much so don't know, but I suspect that it is possible.

As far as "everyone" using 150 gr, I don't have any friends that do, about 110 is the most used by the people I know.

For the most part, I agree. I have never found 3-pellets, Pyrodex or Triple Se7en to be an overall accuate powder charge at all. Generally speaking 100-120gr ffg Triple Se7en/Pyrodex RS/Blackhorn 209 will shoot rings around 3-pellet loads. Recoil is less too which certainly helps group size. The lower velocity is certainly not enough to even be a consideration in most instances.

Harry1 said:
What weight and type bullet were you using?

That may be the key right there. 3 pellets with a 200 grain bullet is a LOT less pressure than 3 pellets with a 300 grain bullet!

Latest posts

Back