2006 fishing season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAF

Reaction score
The 2006 fishing season in my zone at the lake opens on Saturday. Guess where I'll be 8) . I'm heading up to the cabin in the morning, right after I get an oil change, for the van :lol: . already picked up licences for me and the missus and have and adequate supply of leaches. The ice went off our lake a few weeks ago which is early, so the walleye will be a little more active and hopefully we'll be having a fish fry on Saturday afternoon. Tomorrows plan is to get the boat out , batteries intalled and charged. Will start the engine in the driveway and blow all that oil out of the engine. I'll do a little cleaning and get all the essentials put back in it. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and the wind won't be howling. Wind is the only thing that keeps us off the lake. This is almost as exciting as opening day of deer season :p .

If I had to wait on a season to open I'd be chompin' at the bit ,too. :shock: Season on fish is always open in my state.

Smokit, you're lucky. Around here the season closes for just over a month, at least around the cabin. I think that's because the powers to be think it's unsafe. The ice on the lake is unsafe for the last month, but you can be sure that some fool would go out on the rotten ice and disappear and his next of kin would sue someone. Anyway, I'm up here now. Today I got the boat out, cleaned it, charged the battery and got it started and blew all the oil out of it. Made a lot of smoke and hopefully killed a few mosquitoes. There's lots of them around this year because it has been wet here and still lots of standing water. Tomorrow, have a few more chores to do and a couple of things to get the boat ready. I'll launch the boat in the marina tomorrow and will be ready Saturday morning. Hopefully we'll be eating walleye Saturday afternoon.

RAF,

Sounds like a great weekend ahead & hope you get into those walleyes!!!

I will be heading out next Friday to fish for channel cats & white perch on the lower susquehanna...being a dry run before our 6/1 Striper opening following week. We are finally getting some decent water flow out of Conowingo Hydro Plant in MD so things are looking up!

RAF, just in case you dont get into those Eyes.... you can always post up the pic of that MONSTER WALLEYE your MRS. caught a while back. Remember...the one that was a lil Bigger than your Biggest!! :lol: :lol:

Best of luck!

Well it's opening day and I'm looking out side. Wouldn't you know it, the wind is blowing. Because of the size of our lake it'll be rough. It's also COLD. Just above the freezing mark, but the forcast is for temps in the low 20's C(70's F). If the wind doesn't stop we'll likely head over to the trout pond. It's stocked once a month with 10" rainbows. Would also make for a nice fish fry.
Loggy, you got that big fish thing backwards. Hers was just slightly smaller than mine :D . Mine was 32" and hers was 30!/2 " Both were about the same weight though.

sounds like alot of fun RAF. I'll bet them walleye coming out of that cold water eat good. You said leaches... didn't you? :shock:

RAF said:
SNIP
Loggy, you got that big fish thing backwards. Hers was just slightly smaller than mine :D . Mine was 32" and hers was 30!/2 " Both were about the same weight though.

Sorry for mix-up RAF, I just remembered her walleye lookin much larger than yours. :lol: Both were great walleyes for sure.

Wolf river, I did say leeches. We use them for bait 8) . Reminds me of something funny that happened a few years ago. I stopped at the local store to pick up some leeches and an elderly woman was standing at the till. She asked what I had and I told her leeches. She asked what are they for and I told her they were great on a cracker. She almost woofed all over the counter :D .

Loggy, no problem. They're pretty close in size and she's pretty proud of it. Only credit I can take :lol: is that I controlled the boat that put her on it and I landed it in the net. I also took the pictures and then released it for her. (her arms aren't long enought to reach over the side of the boat)

Well, the weekend was a bust, fishing wise :( . Wind finally quit after I had the boat out of the water, and was all packed to go home :x . Oh well. I spoke to some who report that there were some brave souls that ventured out on the water but fishing was really slow. Only a few pike were taken. On the bright side, saw three bucks walk past the back of the cabin yesterday morning and again in the afternoon. Antlers are now about 10 inch high and branching out nicely.

RAF,

A fine account of whut this fishin sport is all about. I too hate the wind...sooner have torrential rain! :lol:

I have managed to squeeze this Friday out for fishin the upper MD Cheasapeake Bay/Lower Susquehanna White Perch Run(and maybe do a lil cattin) which is in full swing now....Couple weeks later than normal due to abnormally low water conditions & unexpected Mother Natures timeclock change.

Just checked marine forecast & looks good but chance of some T storms. Not much wind though! :D

Best of luck on your next trip out. May those Winds NOT BLOW!!

Next trip won't be for a couple of weeks. Have things that have to be done at home this weekend. Next weekend my son is going up with lots of their friends. All beds will be filled along with hideaway in living room. Hope there is something left of the place when we get there :? . When we do get back we'll be into the begining of prime Walleye fishing. Should have better news then :p .

Well, I'm off to the lake again looking for some Walleye. Of course the weather is lousy. Cold, wind and rain. Had to cancell a golf booking for tomorrow morning because my wife won't go out in this kind of weather. We have 3 days and the forcast if for better weather on Monday. I'm pretty sure the weather will improve then. How many time have you left a camping trip on Sunday afternoon to see the clear skies behind you as your heading home :? . That brings to mind a riddle. What follows 2 days of wind and rain? ...........Monday :) .

Here I sit on a Sunday morning, looking out the window at the rain. It's rained here since we got her Friday night. It's been a very wet year up here, a lot wetter than normal. I have water standing in the yard. My septic tank was full, again, from ground water and had to have it pumped again :x . It's a $48 touch each time and that's twice in the last month. The grass is a foot tall and way too wet to attempt to mow it. If this keeps us I'll need a swather :x .
Yesterday afternoon my friend and I went onto the lake when there was a bit of let up in the rain. Instead of rain there was a fine drizzle or mist coming down. I'm happy to report that I boated 3 walleye. All are now filleted and cooling in the fridge and will be enjoyed at lunch today :D . Had several more bites but seem to have lost my touch and missed them. Had one more up beside the boat but it broke free. Likely just had it hooked in the outer lip. I'm hoping that this weather clears off and can get out again. I still have a dozen leeches to get rid of :twisted:

Hope u soon get some decent weather there RAF!

Like they say...a rainy day fishing still beats a sunny day at work! :lol:

Well it's 5:20 pm and it hasn't stopped raining all day. There's all kind of water standing in the yard. I just checked my septic tank and I can hear water running into it :roll: . I'm thinking I should find some plans for an ark :? . Forecast says it's supposed to quick overnight and tomorrow is supposed to be a mix of sun and cloud. We'll see :roll:

Latest posts

Back