200gr Shockwave takes another one, Update 12/28

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
90 yards broadside on a nice doe, complete pass through, went 20 yards mostly downhill and piled up. Broke two ribs on entry, liquified the lungs and took three ribs on exit. 100 grs of 777 seems to be working fine out of my Elite. I think I will try pushing it a little faster at the range to see if the groups stay tight and try them a bit faster on deer next year.

On another note the doe I took has a strange bone structure in front of her eyes under the skin. I took pics and will post them when I get around to downloading them.

Critter,

You are likely exceding 2000 FPS with you load. IMO the extra speed with the 200 gr. shockwave makes it a DRT bullet. (dead right there)

Congratulations on your Doe.

Chocdog

Critter,
I'm shooting the same sabot & load out of my CVA Optima .50 cal and bagged a doe and a smaller buck this season. The doe at about 25 yds ran only about 20 yds and dropped. The buck was from about 80 - 100 yds and dropped on impact. I have to agree with you about the 200gr TC Shockwave. They must be really popular. Last week I went to Wal-Mart to get some more and they were sold out, went to a local sportsman's store; sold out. Finally had to drive 40 miles away to Bass Pro Shop and they only had one pack of them left.

Hmm, might have to try these when my new Omega gets here. I have about 140 of the parker jacketed hydracon marketed by traditions as their APB200 in 250 gr from work. I hope those work as well.

I took my first with the 200gr shockwave last saturday. the results were impressive. It was a small doe that came running by at about 75 yards. Shot placement was not very good, low and back. the deer didn't really show any signs of being hit. i went and checked and found a pile of hair and blood. The deer went about 150 yards with lots of blood. in 2 spots i found piles of intestines. when i got to the deer it was still alive but couldn't get up to flee. i shot it in the back of the head/neck to finnish it off. i could not beleive my eyes. the bullet had basically unzipped the deer at the belly and everything was just hanging out. the bullet definately did its job even though the shooter didn't. No bone was hit but it appears that it expanded violently and passed thru. i will continue to use it and see what a broadside rib shot on a bigger deer does. they shoot great out of my disc elite. On a side note i found another disc elite on a used rack, looks like it was used very little. blued /synthetic for $249. Hope it shoots as good as my first one.

Just to add another compliment to the TC 200 shockwaves... both of my deer kills using them passed clean through also.

i cant get those 200gr shockwaves to shoot worth a crap out of my win. apex i was trying them with 100grs 777 maybe i should drop down to 90grs of 777 and see what happens.my gun seems to like the heavier bullets 260grs to 300grs over 100grs of powder.anyone have problems shooting lighter bullets 250gr and under? :?

My LK-93 will not shoot them that light. If I switch to the 250 or 300 it shoots great.

Congrats on the deer, Critter. Love thoughs field reports. Now I know why I couldn't find a disc Elite.....you guys keep buying them on sight.. :lol:

Went out for our late antlerless season this morning. There was a storm moving in late morning so I expected the deer to be moving and I was not disapointed. 8:10 am I have two does and a fawn cross in front of my blind at about 60 yards. Made sure they were both does and then let the bigger of the two have it. I aimed slightly high on the shoulder and got a bang/flop. I spitpatched and reloaded. The smaller doe was still in the field so I confirmed that she was indeed a doe and took the same aiming point and again got another bang/flop. She didn't even kick. BOth shot were complete pass throughs and the deer didn't take a step.
11:00 am I spotted a small group of does working west at about 130 yards so I picked the largest and let fly. I hit her high and spined her do I had to finish her with another shot.
Very impressed with the 200 on deer sized game. If I was hunting larger or tougher game I might try something else but for deer this is my go to bullet.

Nice shooting, Critter! Sounds like a bunch of good eatin' to me!
Where do you live that you have that many doe tags?
Just curious about what other states allow.

Thanks

I'm right here in MI fellers. We have DMAPs (Deer Managment Assistance Permits) for our farm so we could purchase an additional 20 tags besides our regular 3. I talked to our local biologist and he filled out some paperwork, asked some questions, and we got approved. My father has to buy the permits because he's the owner and then he issues them to us. I had him pick up three more today. I'll be back out tommorow afternoon to fill some more. I have til the 1st to hunt and I have it all off work. :D

Latest posts

Back