2010 ML season in Mich was a success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex Dr.

Reaction score
Hey guys

well my muzzle loader season was short and sweet, due to work i could not get away to hunt until this past weekend.

the weather was cold, but not too brutal, we had the farm to ourselves (just my uncle and myself)

We both have filled one tag each i shot a doe with my ML in gun season, he shot a nice size 6 pt with his bow so we both were out to just be out.

We sat opposite sides of the farm to see if we could spread area out.

After sitting from daylight until about 945 am i got a chill (and bored) from watch deer way to far away to shoot with a tank (gotta love cut corn fields as far as the ability to see them but kind of nerve racking when you know they are taunting you) and decided to sneak to another treestand towards my uncle and at 1030 i would call him on the radio and put a mini drive on towards him just to see if we could put a deer in range (and since he has done it for me for many years it was time to return the favor) at 1030ish i called him asking how frozen he was and how long he wanted to sit. His response was where are you im standing by your tree and you are gone. After brief planning he was going to come thru the thick stuff to me since i was closer to the truck.

We have a shack made that we use for bad weather and a tree stand above it facing in to the thicket, i decided to sit in the tree for the heck of it incase any deer he bumped decided to stay inside i would see them.

After about 15-20 minutes my mind started wondering and the next thing i know i see a deer heading my way at about 100 yards heading straight at me.

After cocking the hammer on the Omega and getting in position to shoot from a sitting position , the deer hits a trail that is going to take it right past the stand at 20 yards max.

Its a small ish sized deer (i assumed was the small doe i had been seeing for the last few hunts) and i figured what the heck i gotta unload the gun anyway this is the most fun way. As soon as the deer cleared a decent tree I bleated at it and it snapped it head up and POOOOOFF smoke ball and instant sign of a great shot. in a matter of 2-3 seconds i see tail and feet in the air and all is quiet.

I radio my uncle and his response was ' well i heard it crash' and mine was "i saw it crash!'

by time i made it out of the tree my uncle was on the trail the deer took and was stopped 2 feet from where i shot to he asked " where was the deer at......." and looked down to a pool of blood and pointed saying i have not seen a blood trail like that in a long time

i walked the 16 yards to the trail and it was painted like a leaky 5 gallon bucket right to the deer (about 20-30 yards max)

the deer turned out to be a button buck that had tiny bumps just thru the skin but it still a nice deer and the little ones taste great.

the shot was true right where i was aiming (well a tad low but the gun is sighted in 1" high at 100)

the 295 grain aero tip powerbelt hit right in the pocket behind shoulder where there are no bone (thats the bow hunter in me) and exited a tad bit back the deer was a slight quarter to

the bullet exit with a huge hole breaking ribs in and out, the bullet parted the heart top and taking out a lung

i do have pics on my phone of the entry and exit and will have a few pics of the heart as soon as they get emailed to me

but all in all a good season and the omega barked twice and 2 deer fell

on out 120 acre farm we shot
1 6pt (my dads 1st bow kill in years)
1 2.5 yr old doe (cousin bow kill)
1 1.5 yr doe (my ML kill)
1 3.5 yr doe (other cousin shotgun kill)
1 .5 yr doe fawn (other cousins 1st deer in 8 years 110 yards shot open sights on her slug gun)
my button buck with ml

so we shot 5 deer (3 does 2 bucks)
the neighbors shot a nice 9 pt, a 6pt, a spike, a doe, and a huge 8 all off the adjoining property its is a 1 mile by 1 mile square with farms and woods
(all in all it was a good year)

im out of tags and time til next season

Latest posts

Back