2023 Illinois Firearm Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For you guys that hunt Illinois, are you going to stay with your "trusty" muzzleloader or try a straight wall, single shot rifle cartridge (350 Legend, 444 marlin, 45-70, etc) for the upcoming season. Has me contemplating; however, I think I would put my .50 cal Traditions Vortek, Accura V2 or Knight Ultra Light up against any single shot straight wall rifle for 115 yards and less shots. Never have shot a deer farther than that on my farm in Western Illinois and .50 cal Harvester & Barnes 300g bullets seem to do the job.

Go with what you know Texas. In Michigan there are new guns allowed for deer. I stuck to my LK-93 and dropped a nice deer right in his tracks. An MZ may only give you one shot, but I have said time and time again your first shot is your best shot. The guns you name are surely capable of taking deer at range equal to the straight walled cartridges. Your MZs may even be more accurate. And accuracy is the name of the game.

I will continue to use my muzzleloader. I don't have any of the rifles listed as being legal to use, and don't plan on buying one. I do however, plan on buying another muzzleloader eventually.

I don't get it in the free state that I live in, rite between Ill and Mich
we can use what ever we want for firearms straight wall or not
What gives in your state's?
Are you hunting in a neighborhood or what?
Seems as though both places have enough room to shoot rifles

I don't get it in the free state that I live in, rite between Ill and Mich
we can use what ever we want for firearms straight wall or not
What gives in your state's?
Are you hunting in a neighborhood or what?
Seems as though both places have enough room to shoot rifles
In the south half of our lower peninsula, the denser population is supposedly the reason for limiting what we can hunt with. Too many people, but not the entire state.

I have 2- 45/70 CVA Scouts. One is a SML conversion and the other is original. I will continue to use the conversion during the 2 firearm seasons and the MZ season. It is a great rifle; I like it better than my HB Savage. Light and accurate.

In the south half of our lower peninsula, the denser population is supposedly the reason for limiting what we can hunt with. Too many people, but not the entire state.
I do not buy that argument by the DNR. The population of northern Michigan grows during deer season - many hunters in the woods.

A muzzleloader to me was just a way to get a flatter shooting, more accurate gun to use. Once they passed the law I should my converted scout and bought a 450bm. I usually do not hunt muzzleloader season because that is our busy season for work. I still have a knight mountaineer and Remington 700ml if I ever need it.

For you guys that hunt Illinois, are you going to stay with your "trusty" muzzleloader or try a straight wall, single shot rifle cartridge (350 Legend, 444 marlin, 45-70, etc) for the upcoming season. Has me contemplating; however, I think I would put my .50 cal Traditions Vortek, Accura V2 or Knight Ultra Light up against any single shot straight wall rifle for 115 yards and less shots. Never have shot a deer farther than that on my farm in Western Illinois and .50 cal Harvester & Barnes 300g bullets seem to do the job.
Staying with my KP1 .50

I have a marlin 1894 that may see use from the kids or my daughter in law, I prefer my knight disc (converted to bare primer) or any of the Hawkens or Renegades over shooting slugs out of a Savage 220. I also prefer the 44mag revolver as well.

I will stick with my ML. thats all I use durning gun season. I figure that the $ grabers here in ILL. Just passed that law so every one will buy new gun so they can collect the sales tax? with the new slug and slug guns are 200 plus yard guns anyway? When I started 50 yards was a long shot with shotguns?

Latest posts

Back