209 primer thoughts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...........Someone mentioned great accuracy from his Remington Ultimate. I was sent one for testing by Remington when they were introduced and absolutely could not get better than three-inch groups at 100 yards with any combination of components - and I spent $483 on powders and bullets in the process - or with two Leupold scopes, one a 12-power. Their website advertises centerfire-like accuracy so I called Remington. The rifle product manager sent me a second rifle from later production that was no better so I met with a gentleman from Remington at the Great American Outdoor Show in nearby Harrisburg who was reported to have a lot of positive experience with those rifles. Long story cut very short, his idea of "great accuracy" was 11 inches at 300 yards...…….

When Remington first released the RUM, they released it to darn early and a bunch of bad barrels got out. An owner provided me his rifle to setup and I never fired a round from it. The barrel was so bad, it looked like someone used a broken broach in a feeble attempt to rifle the barrel. Yes, it was that bad. I photographed the barrel along with video and sent it to the owner, who in turn sent it to Remington. Remington admitted to him that some bad barrels got out and offered to replace the entire rifle. He refused a replacement and instead requested a refund. Remington gave him his full refund and he used it to purchase an Ultimate BP Xpress.

That said, believe me when I say that there are RUM owners getting exceptional accuracy and less than MOA at 300yds. I know of one shooter in AZ that has been able to hold MOA at 700yds with his RUM.

There are a couple problems associated with the RUM. Head spacing and PP primer carriers are the main, along with it not being BH209 capable. When I say not BH capable, I'm saying that BH is not an approved propellant for the RUM and Remington no longer warrants breech plugs if BH has been used.

PROBLEMS SOLVED...…….. Luke from ASG created a new breech plug (ASG-Gen2) for the RUM and the UF rifles, which completely seals, will not gas cut and is easily capable of shooting and handling heavy charges of BH209. The system uses LRMP's in modules. The ABSOLUTE BEST change an owner can make. Sending a 300gr bullet at 2,400fps is easy.

That's great info on the 700 Ultimate - thank you. As a Remington fan (I own over 20 Model 700s or rifles based upon that action alone), I was hoping that new muzzleloader would live up to its hype but neither of mine did. As I said, I kept the one I on which I changed recoil pads but probably will never hunt with it because of its weight. But it's always fun to shoot it at one of the clubs to which I belong as many people never saw one and until it goes off think it is a varmint rifle unless they were watching me load it.

Speaking of changing recoil pads, if anyone is planning to do that on a laminated stock model, be forewarned that at least on my early gun, the pad was both screwed and glued on. And that glue is some strong stuff! I tried unsuccessfully to remove the pad and took the rifle to a local stock guru who has removed many a glued-on Perazzi trap gun pad but he actually broke the blade he had used for 20 years on those shotguns. He finally used his band saw to cut it off.

Ed

I don't use Blackhorn 209 due to its potentially corrosive nature
It is true that Blackhorn is mildly corrosive; but it is the least corrosive of all the powders used in muzzleloaders. if you doubt this look up the chemical analyses the manufactures are required to publish.

I had many miss fires using standard 209 shotgun primers in my muzzle loading rifle.
Since I switched to CCI 209M magnum primers a few years back I haven't had a single miss fired round.
Plus I get a more complete power burn. I'm glad I purchased a case of 1000 CCI primers.
I recommend them.

i'm a hunter and long time user of Black MZ powder. Unlike BH 209, Black MZ is easily lit with a #11 cap, is safe for use in plunger guns and does not clog up breech plugs. Black MZ works well in conventional sidelock guns. Yep, Black MZ is not as powerful as BH 209: But at $10.00 per pound one can afford to use more of the stuff.

i recently received a large order of Black MZ powder from Sportsman's Warehouse. It is still in stock there.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...lliant-black-mz-muzzleloader-powder/p/1318670

Latest posts

Back