25-06 your opinions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sootbelcher

Reaction score
im pretty sure im getting a H&R 25-06 that should reach out there. whats your opinion using it for elk ? don't know if i would hunt elk but never know. with say 117 gr bullets what ranges would you shoot ? is the 25-06 a good all around calaber for that area the Ratan NM area.

since you asked i'll give you my thoughts ..the 25-06 is ok if YOU reload ,i don't care very much for odd ball calibers .as you probably know the 25-06 is actualy a reduced necked 30-06 .... [like to keep things simple and uncomplicated] for elk i would chose the .270 cal. with the WINCHESTER 150 grain. XP3 .....or upgrade to the .270 wsm with the WINCHESTER 130 grain. XP3 ...it will take care of anything that you want to hunt ,up close or far away [200 to 300yds. if you do your part]

Never hunted elk, but know the .25-06. It wouldn't be my first choice. I'd want a bigger bullet and caliber.

Colorado said:
Kind of light for elk.

not if he gets a good bonded bullet [XP3] SUPREME WINCHESTER .. also shot placement is very important [no shoulder shots ] but a double lung shot will put it down in its tracks ..

i hunted 25 years with a 30-06 and don't recall of any game [moose , blackbear, caribou that walked very far with the proper bullet and shot placement ..

the 25-06 and the 30-06 can be in two very different worlds. With the right load combination the 30-06 can bring just about any game down very effectively. I personally wouldn't take a 25-06 for anything above a elk and even then it would have to be a heavier solid bullet.

117 gr. Nosler Partition, but always under 150 yds. when it comes to Elk. If you reload that is the way I would go. We have 4 of them longest shot 317 yds. he was head before he hit the ground, 117 gr.Nosler Partition. :rendeer:

black powder said:
Colorado said:
Kind of light for elk.

not if he gets a good bonded bullet [XP3] SUPREME WINCHESTER .. also shot placement is very important [no shoulder shots ] but a double lung shot will put it down in its tracks ..

i hunted 25 years with a 30-06 and don't recall of any game [moose , blackbear, caribou that walked very far with the proper bullet and shot placement ..
True, but I always like a little extra insurance. A bullet that only works with a perfect shot is chancy. I'm a bit conservative on bullet choice.

bigger is not always better ...i just sold my BROWNING STAINLESS STALKER A-BOLT in 300 wsm ..it has served me well the last 10 years ..i ordered a SAVAGE WEATHERWARRIOR in .243 cal ..it will be used for big game hunting without the painfull RECOIL . i retired 8 years ago and my main hobby is big game hunting ,so i have a good idea what i want for my future hunts ..i booked a whitetail deer hunt on ANTICOSTI ISLAND from the 24 oct. - 31 oct ..we are allowed 2 deer ..

and yes getting back to the main question 25-06 is good enough for elk ..but if you are not comfortable get some thing with more power ..like a 30-06

sqezer said:
black powder, I do agree the 30-06 has much more to pick from, all the ways up to 220 grs. of teeth ratteling power. :bom:
The 30-06 was always my choice. Plus, I loved the 30-30 lever for the tight stuff. My dad bought me one when I was 12 for deer hunting. I haven't stopped hunting ever since.

The love of the 06 goes way back, for our first annivarsary presant in 1977, the WIFE bought me a Winchester model 670 30-06 with a Maple Monte Carlo stock with a stripping pattern to it. I can't say how many deer I have taken with it at least 100 or more, when it came to taking doe's for meat any thing under 200 yds. it was my head shot special. Then I was interduced to the 25-06, the 30-06 is retired for one of my grandsons, after all these years of hunting with it it is still about 95% conditition, now its the .45 Knights forever. :D

The rest of my days will be with a ML. I like smacking them with a big slow bullet.

my chance of hunting anything larger than a coyote with a 25-06 is pretty iffy . darn heart and lungs don't want to work together . so i may end up hunting just paper targets. or turkey

Also 100 grain Nosler Partitions for hunting. Those Partitions have never failed me.
They are all I shoot in my .257 Roberts Imp., .250 Savage handgun, and .25-06.

Back