250 grain SST's...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc154

Reaction score
Any body not like them???

I have been shooting the 250 and 300 grs with the easy glide sabots that are included. Seem to work ok for me. Anyone had any or know of any issues?

I have killed a big pile of venison with the 250. Some deer toppled over, some ran after. All were Behind the shoulder or front on shots that destroyed lung and or heart. Never an issue about there capabilities...

While I have no personal experience, if you search the forums you'll find some have concerns about poor expansion at close range.

Most love them but that may be an issue.

They work for me & shoot good too. I'm usually going for more of a soft tissue shot just behind the foreleg. That gives a pass-thru about every time.

I have used the SST &Shock Wave for many years and this is my rule for them since the new more potent powders have come out:
The regular Shock Wave & SST will be use at a velocity of 1800 FPS at higher velocity use the Bonded Shock Wave.
I took a doe this year with the bonded Shock Wave and it left a hole in the far side of the rib cage that I put four fingers in she was taken at about 40 yds and the bullet was still traveling at over 2200FPS.
Like the power belts the SST and the Shock Wave were designed for real black powder velocities and can break up if pushed hard.

pc154 said:
Any body not like them???

I have been shooting the 250 and 300 grs with the easy glide sabots that are included. Seem to work ok for me. Anyone had any or know of any issues?

I've had great luck with the 300 grain TC shockwaves using the black sabots. Friends have claimed poor accuracy with the yellow easy loading sabots so I have avoided them. I'm using some pretty hot loads and they are working real well up close like 50 yards. The Barnes 300 grain expander has also performed well too. I know friends who use the 250 grain bullets and like them. There are always going to be some who will complain about any bullet.

Latest posts

Back