260 grain PT Gold

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

The bullet went through carpet, plywood, and 4 water jugs; bouncing off the fifth jug, and flying off about 8' right, and away; into tall grass. Range was 25 yard. Powder load was 80g Blackhorn. The bullet now weighs 166 grain. Finding the bullet required a determined search using a metal detector.

IMG_0569.JPG

Ron..is that a copper post in the center like the Curls or gold dots...interesting if it is and they are useing that concept...for a cheap bullet the PT's fly very good....at least out to 200 yards...

Thanks Ron...

The shape of that mushroom indicates it lost the 100 grains in a pretty even circle.

Ron
Is it possible that you normally test from the same location and located/recovered a bullet from a prior Gold Dot test? Are you 100% sure this is the PT Gold you shot?

8)
Thanks Ron for the info on the PT gold. Real helpful material. :applause: :applause:

Ray........... :yeah:

Al-53 said:
Ron..is that a copper post in the center like the Curls or gold dots...interesting if it is and they are useing that concept...for a cheap bullet the PT's fly very good....at least out to 200 yards...

Thanks Ron...
Me know nothing....Just collecting data is all....Have never used these bullets hunting. They seemed to work. Sure seems to be a lot of good bullets available for us to shoot.

I think copper dot in center is from plating that is in bottom of hollow point cavity before tip is installed. One thing for sure plating definitely pills rite off.

WV Hunter said:
Ron, what do you think of the bullet shedding almost 100gr? Seems substantial to me, at least in comparison to your other tests.
Yes. However, if one compares the different tests of the different bullets, this bullet penetrated better than a way more expensive, more popular hunting bullet, that probably didn't loose hardly anything. Relevant? Me, i just don't know, but it has been fun shooting these different bullets, and trying to catch them. Seems nice; there really hasn't been an obviously bad bullet yet.

TripleSe7en said:
....Is it possible that you normally test from the same location and located/recovered a bullet from a prior Gold Dot test? Are you 100% sure this is the PT Gold you shot?
IMG_0569.JPG

Is that a Gold Dot bullet?

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

No, its a Rainier bullet and it performed pretty much like i expected. I can tell you they dont hold up nearly as well at 2250fps :D

The Gold Dot looks really good. It looks like a lead version of a Barnes. Are they still available?

You gotta hunt em down Muley. Very sporadic that they show up available. Haven't been readily available in about 2yrs.
I prefer the 240gr or the 300gr over the 250gr or 180gr.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27054

I'll take the DC all day every day. They are a super cup/core bullet. :yeah:

Latest posts

Back