270 Platinums

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flint head

Reaction score
Fg, I'm going to try some 270 Platinums over 80 grains of 777 tomorrow in my KP1.

Sounds like a winner. 80g aught to be one heck of a nice mushroom witha good deal of center mass.

Let us know how they do in the KP1 of yours.

Ok guys I whimped out on the BH,,, I only have about half a can left and I was a little unsure about using my supply on a new untested bullet. Well turns out I made the right move, my KP1 didn't relly like the Platinums... 80 grains of 777 swabbwed between shots resulted in a 5 1/2" 5 shot 100 yard group. Wow, I forgot how dirty 777 is... BH will really spoil you.

Wow thats not to great of groups.

How did the bullet feel going down the bore? Loose or tight? Knights are supposed to have a looser bore.

Im wondering if the bigger 338 would be better for you.

anyone try these 270 Platinums in front of 3 50 grain pellets yet? according to Powerbelt, the platinums were designed for "magnum" loads.

camocop said:
anyone try these 270 Platinums in front of 3 50 grain pellets yet? according to Powerbelt, the platinums were designed for "magnum" loads.
It all depends on the range you are shooting. You cant expect a Powerbelt to hold up with 3 pellets and a target only 30-60 yards away. Mag loads were designed for long range shooting.

But at 60 yards and under with 3 pellet loads, i think there will be trouble still. Powerbelts are made out of Pure lead and all pure lead bullets have their limits.

but i never know how far my shot is going to be. i may be shooting 30 yards or i may be shooting 150 yards. i don't want to shoot a super heavy projectile with a low powder charge and have to "lob" a bullet at a deer BUT i don't want a light projectile in front of lots of powder exploding a projectile either. i'm looking for a happy medium.

the only problem i found with my muzzle loader is i need some kind of rod extension for my ram rod if i shoot less than 3 pellets. with the stock ram rod i am forced to shoot 3 pellets because it is too short and falls down the barrel before the projectile and powder are seated tightly. i don't want to have to carry more than the neccessary equipment into the field. i also wouldn't like having my ram rod stick out further than the barrell which could snag on my tree stand or trees/brush.

I've never heard of a problem like that before. If you want to use 3 pellets which IMO is not needed for 150 yard shooting, i'd go with the 338 platinum. It sounds like a lot of bullet but if you were to look at say the 295g powerbelt, the 338g isnt that much more in weight.

What rifle are you using? It sounds to me like your ramrod is possibly an extendable ramrod and unscrews at the cleaning jag side. But this really throws me off big time and i am really interested in knowing what you are using.

The 270g platinum performs well at 20 yards with 100g loose pyrodex Select. But if your ramrod isnt reaching with anything less than 150g pellets, I'd say that something isnt right.

i'm using a Traditions Pursuit Pro, black synthetic stock with a nickle barrell/receiver. i absolutely love the rifle, it's just as accurate as any of my centerfires. it does have the screw off cleaning jag on the end. i did not know if they made extensions for the ram rod or not.

I would buy an extension or one of the new unbreakable ramrods. I bought one for my traditions kentucky and its a better ramrod. Mine i bought from cva for $13 at the time.

I think you can buy the TC ramrod extenders for $4-6 and they add anywhere from 2-4" depending on what you need.

I would go that route and drop the charge down to 100 and save a little money with not having to fire that 3rd pellet.

Admin said:
I would buy an extension or one of the new unbreakable ramrods. I bought one for my traditions kentucky and its a better ramrod. Mine i bought from cva for $13 at the time.

I think you can buy the TC ramrod extenders for $4-6 and they add anywhere from 2-4" depending on what you need.

I would go that route and drop the charge down to 100 and save a little money with not having to fire that 3rd pellet.
how much do you figure the ballistics will change from shooting 150 to 100? i don't have access to a range whenever i want so my practicing is limited to only a couple times per year with the muzzy.

camocop said:
Admin said:

how much do you figure the ballistics will change from shooting 150 to 100? i don't have access to a range whenever i want so my practicing is limited to only a couple times per year with the muzzy.
From the Powerbelt chart with 28" barrel,100g pellets and the 270g platinum, Sight 3" high at 100 yards and you'll be dead on at 150 yards.

3" low @ 175 and only 7" low at 200 yards. I like my rule for 200 yard shooting, Put the cross hairs on the targets back and its going down!

The 26" barrel is almost the same, just a very little difference.
http://powerbeltbullets.com/docs/PBB28inchballistics.pdf

May also want to consider the heavier 300 grain platinum. Theres just so many Powerbelt choices that you really have to beat your head against the wall and pick one and go with it.

thanks for the link! this will give me a good starting reference when i do get to hit the range.

no, but they claim that the pellet chart is close to what loose powder shoots.

Latest posts

Back