275gr SST

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
Does this not seem like a no-brainer for Hornady. The most common complaints of the SST is the 250gr opens too quickly and rarely passes through deer sized game and the 300gr suffers the opposite problem with poor expansion and .452cal sized holes in and out.

Comments?

I think it's a marketing thing. 275 grains may be too close to 250 and 300 to make the latter two marketable. They'd sell a bunch of 275's but not nearly as many of the other two. Just a theory.

I agree with Blue-Dot...the 250gr Bonded Shockwave should be the ticket. No way that thing should expand as quickly as the SST.

Every deer I've killed with the 250 gr SST has completly passed through. :shock: But the Bonded SST/SW still should be a better bullet to hold together. :wink:

HokieHunter said:
I think it's a marketing thing. 275 grains may be too close to 250 and 300 to make the latter two marketable. They'd sell a bunch of 275's but not nearly as many of the other two. Just a theory.

I agree with Blue-Dot...the 250gr Bonded Shockwave should be the ticket. No way that thing should expand as quickly as the SST.

Those ARE the answers... Notice there's no 275gr .452 XTP..

The only time that I haven't had a 250 gr. SST/TC Shockwave exit a deer was one that I shot last fall. The doe was getting ready to take off back from where she came, and was facing away. I was 15' up a tree, 40 Yds away. The bullet entered her right in front of the hindquarters dead center (I only lost one fillet) and travelled forward, ending up somewhere in the chest cavity or further forward. It seemed to drive her forward and down, as all her hoofprints had a 3" to 4" slide mark to them. Every other deer that I've shot, from 20 feet to 165 Yds were pass thru's.

Blue-Dot-37.5

I haven't had any to stop inside the deer yet.I use the 250 sst or sw.year before I shot from 68 to 234 yds all pass throughs,one went through both shoulders with out stoping.
This past year shots were 78 to 200 yds all pass throughs.One doe and 3 bucks.
Let 3 brothers and a friend use my savage and they were all pass throughs from 100 to 225 yds.
Think I will stay with them but want to try the barnes if they ever get them in.

Latest posts

Back