30-32-34?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hope it's ok to ask here...I am planning on purchasing a Sharp's but am still not settled on barrel length and I'm hoping members here can advise. My use is for mostly target shooting with some competition. Around here the max range is 600 yards. I will also do some hunting but that will be the least of my uses. I have a Hawken .45 for that..

Most of the guys I know use a 30". I started out with Quigley fever and that's a 34". Too much to hunt with! My next was a 26" 45/70, great hunting rifle. My last is a 45/110 and also a 26" heavy barrel, recommended by Kirk the owner/ builder. Thats what he hunts with so that's what I ordered. My 45/ 70 is a half round and that's what I wanted in the 110, Kirk schooled me to the other. Great rifles! The folks I know both hunt and compete . What caliber are you looking at? Are you going thru Bill Goodman.

Most of the guys I know use a 30". I started out with Quigley fever and that's a 34". Too much to hunt with! My next was a 26" 45/70, great hunting rifle. My last is a 45/110 and also a 26" heavy barrel, recommended by Kirk the owner/ builder. Thats what he hunts with so that's what I ordered. My 45/ 70 is a half round and that's what I wanted in the 110, Kirk schooled me to the other. Great rifles! The folks I know both hunt and compete . What caliber are you looking at? Are you going thru Bill Goodman.
Hey, Thanks for the advice and quick reply! I am looking at 45-70. I just had a shoulder replacement so greater than 70 might not work too well. And yes, unless I get lucky and stumble upon one I will be going through Bill Goodman. I have pretty much eliminated the 34" and trying to decide if the extra 2 inches gives a significant advantage over the 30 for distances >600 yards. Why the half round over others if I might ask?

Are you planning on scoping it or open sights? Your shooting black I presume? Are you casting your own bullets? Grease groove or paper patch? I bought the half round 45/70 used. I really like the weight for a hunting rifle. Kirk and Kenny W said the barrel jump on the 110 should have at least the heavy barrel for control. Mike

Are you planning on scoping it or open sights? Your shooting black I presume? Are you casting your own bullets? Grease groove or paper patch? I bought the half round 45/70 used. I really like the weight for a hunting rifle. Kirk and Kenny W said the barrel jump on the 110 should have at least the heavy barrel for control. Mike
So far the sight plan is for Vernier and spirit level front. Although my eyes may need/demand a scope. Shooting black, yes. Seems a sacrilege to do otherwise. I have the equipment to cast but have not yet done so. I have a friend who used to run the nuclear medicine department and over the years he supplied me with numerous "Pigs". These are lead containers that are/were used to transport/store the low level radioactive material used for diagnostic tests. As for paper patched, I would certainly like to go with that. At present, I have not been successful in locating a solid supplier. On the barrel weight, I have a full octagon on my Hawken and shoot 80-90 gr FFG. Virtually no real kick so I am inclined to lean that way.

So far the sight plan is for Vernier and spirit level front. Although my eyes may need/demand a scope. Shooting black, yes. Seems a sacrilege to do otherwise. I have the equipment to cast but have not yet done so. I have a friend who used to run the nuclear medicine department and over the years he supplied me with numerous "Pigs". These are lead containers that are/were used to transport/store the low level radioactive material used for diagnostic tests. As for paper patched, I would certainly like to go with that. At present, I have not been successful in locating a solid supplier. On the barrel weight, I have a full octagon on my Hawken and shoot 80-90 gr FFG. Virtually no real kick so I am inclined to lean that way.
What kind of competition were you planning on? BPC silhouette? Mid-long range BPC target rifle?
Octagon to round barrel is just a personal choice. Same with full round or full octagon.
Barrel length not less than 30" if you will use it for target or competition.
I prefer 32 or 34 inch barrels on my competition rifles. Longer sight radius and more weight to soak up recoil.
Paper patch loading/shooting has a learning curve. Grease groove bullets much less.
I would recommend starting with greasers. Once you get some experience you can always graduate to PP.
Remember.....your .45 round ball rifle has significantly less recoil than a 45-70 shooting a 500+ grain bullet.

What kind of competition were you planning on? BPC silhouette? Mid-long range BPC target rifle?
Octagon to round barrel is just a personal choice. Same with full round or full octagon.
Barrel length not less than 30" if you will use it for target or competition.
I prefer 32 or 34 inch barrels on my competition rifles. Longer sight radius and more weight to soak up recoil.
Paper patch loading/shooting has a learning curve. Grease groove bullets much less.
I would recommend starting with greasers. Once you get some experience you can always graduate to PP.
Remember.....your .45 round ball rifle has significantly less recoil than a 45-70 shooting a 500+ grain bullet.
Thanks for the input..Around here steel targets/silhouettes prohibited on gun club ranges. The comps thus far have been "10 inch" pie plates so to speak out to 600 yards.
Sight radius becoming more important given my 70+ yr old eyes.
Been shooting greasers since mid-70's and will continue but want to learn PP.
I use Maxi's in my .45 not round balls but I take your point
My shoulder replacement was in my off arm so recoil less of a concern there but holding up the fore stock definitely a problem so need to use sticks.

I have a Shiloh Sharps 45-70 that my late uncle had built, I think in the early 90’s. He had intended to shoot it competitively but never got around to it so it’s still never been fired. It’s got a half round barrel but I’m not sure what length. I think the model was called the “Long Range Express”. I’ve been meaning to order the original build sheet from Shiloh but haven’t yet. Anyway, pretty cool guns and the Shiloh Sharps workmanship is obvious.

Back