300 grain Hornady XTP BallisticGel Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My load at the time was 300 grain .430 xtp 80 grains bh209, winchester m209 primer. Switched to Barnes 250 grain tmz, 84 grains bh209, and m209 primer. Excellent expansion on the deer I have shot.

Hi Folks. Digging up an old thread is fine with me. I was shoot the .452 in a sabot. Remember, my goal here was to see how they would do at lower end speeds. They did great and I think they are a fine option in either diameter.

Thanks for the info!

Does anyone ever knurl these bullets or is that necessary?

If you can't tell, I'm a total novice with sabots. I do have some 300gr XTPs in .452 and some black sabots I bought a while back. Is there any way to identify the sabots because I have no idea what brand, etc. Maybe measure the petal thickness and length?

I tried shooting them with T7 pellets a few years ago but didn't get good results. I am realizing now I will just have to try a few different components and they could shoot well after all.

When I used to hunt only with a Ruger Redhawk for deer I found the damage from a 300 XTP to great. After all I want to eat what I shoot, so I kept going down in weight and settled for 200 XTP's.

I would think the 200 gr XTP would be more explosive at same velocity's then the 300gr.. have shot a few deer with the 300 gr XTP and couldn't see excessive damage any more so then any other bullet when going thru shoulder.. When hitting bon most bullets will cause blood shot meat/bone fragments. On chest shots the 300 gr xtp left a nickel sized entrance wound and a .50 piece exit at most but would turn internals to jelly which to me is good.

All I know is 300 xtp's at 60 yards or less my deer had tennis ball holes on the other side and when using 200's I had to look for the exit wound. Most of my shots the deer were quartering away and usually bullet hit the other shoulder.

Back