Improve group?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If increasing the load doesn't work do yourself a favor and see if you can get your hands on some Shooter's Choice powder.
I would bet you will get better accuracy with less recoil. I shoot 80 gr of it with the same 300 gr Hornady XTP and a Harvester black CR sabot and will shoot 1.5 or less consistently from my Accura V2.
The 300 gr XTP is normally an accurate short range bullet (<200 yards) in both the .430" and .452" versions.

CVA Wolf model are not noted for their accuracy, more about being fair priced level. I have one of the old T/C Blk. Diamond .50 with the QL that most people could not get to shoot with very good accuracy. I seemed to have good accuracy with my Blk. Dia. i have worked with it for19 years. I can get 2" groups at 100 yards.

I beg to differ smokepole. My friend has a Wolf and his shoots almost as good as my Accura V2 which will shoot MOA all day. Make me wonder why I spent over twice as much for the Accura! Maybe he just got lucky but that's been my experience with the Wolf.
As I have said before, some wolf's shoot great some don't. Find the load it likes and it is a handy short light gun.

I am feeling cautious about upping the powder much. I based the powder in the published muzzle velocity and aligned it with Hornday’s velo recommendations for that bullet. I really try to minimize fragmentation in my bullets so as to lose less meat so I generally opt for a little slower…especially since most of my shots are under fifty yards and so even with light powder bullet is still flying pretty fast.

I am feeling cautious about upping the powder much. I based the powder in the published muzzle velocity and aligned it with Hornday’s velo recommendations for that bullet. I really try to minimize fragmentation in my bullets so as to lose less meat so I generally opt for a little slower…especially since most of my shots are under fifty yards and so even with light powder bullet is still flying pretty fast.
I've been using the xtp 240s for a long time. I'm shooting 80grn blackhorn by volume with a black crush rib sabot. Most of my shots are under 100yds with the majority of em under 50yds! I've killed 4 deer in the last 2 years with my Cva accura V2 lr and the farthest tracking job was 40yds! I'm going to be trying the 300grn xtp very soon!

I can't help but SMFH at ppl when they come into the forum & ask questions about a problem they are having due to their inexperience, then they choose to not listen to those experienced ppl that reply to them with their best recommendation to fix their problem.
The first 5 replies ALL told you to increase your charge. Yet you don't seem to want to listen. What is your fear of that bullet fragmenting at any faster velocity based off of? With the charge that you stated you are using, you should be nowhere near the velocity that bullet should need to frag on a deer.
Soooo heres another experienced muzzleloader shooter telling you to increase your charge. I think that the general consensus is that you are not pushing that bullet fast enough to stabilize it at the range you are shooting it at. You should be fine at 70g-77g BH 209, even 84g really. Also BuckDoeHunter asked what sabot are you using.....that is another element that can certainly cause poor grouping to no group, when you are not using the right sabot for the bullet you're using in it or your gun.
Example; my Accura V2 .45 will not group at all any bullets in MMP tan sabots & they stick to the bullets for who knows how long ( which is part of the problem ). I switched to Harvester light blue crush ribs & every bullet I've put in them shots MOA or better. I've also experimented with getting diff bullets to stabilize by simply finding the right velocity to get them to fly right out of my gun.
Good luck getting your groups tightened up, try taking the very good advice that you've already been given.

Latest posts

Back