.32 Cal Inline Update

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huntingjeff44 said:
Well I looked all weekend and I give up im going just build one! Well actually 2 I just bought 2 cva .50 firebolt ulta mag stainless steel. I got one for $100 and a unfired one for $125. I'm ordering 2 barrel liners from tjs 1 .32 in 1:20 twist for hotter loads with around 90 grain bullets for groundhogs,fox,and coyotes. 1 .32 in 1:30 for squirrels and rabbits. My idea is the barrel liners are .505 the cva barrel in .50 is .502 at the rifling. So a quick pass with a barrel liner drill and I'm good.take out bolt and breech plug fill and push barrel liner epoxy through from the breech end with one of those cleaning tools that screws into your breech plug. Then the liner is 25 inches the rifle usable barrel is 25 1/4 so slide in liner almost all the way leave 3/16 sticking out breech and use breech plug to seat care to just tighten light snug so when epoxy is set and you reinstall breech plug you have a tight seal. Clean up barrel end with a 11 degree target crown and you have a 1/4 recessed 11 degree target crown. And presto 2 .32 i lines for less than $250 a piece. What do you think? Good looking guns to stainless fluted and the McMillan looking green synthetic stock.

The Rant is understandable, lot of us have been there. I see you are new to the site so Welcome! Do a little search and you will find an 8 or 9 page thread where we did a lot of chatting about getting one built, lots of specs and reasons for them.

One Member here has gone the Barrel liner route. The only real problem is you are left with a heavy rifle since you are adding more barrel thickness. If that don't bother you and you are doing the work yourself, go for it. You can get a barrel in the twist of your choice from Oregon. If you are doing the work for yourself would it be possible to make your own mounting block and put it on a new barrel instead of going the liner route? In other words Make an entirely new barrel and leave the 50cal alone. If not maybe use a contoured barrel that has a smaller muzzle diameter but use a breech that is same diameter as your current barrel. Then cut off your barrel, drill and tap the barrel stub and then thread the new barrel to screw in to the stub. I guess the down side would be making a new breech plug too though.

The GunWorks, is who built mine on one of the Ridgerunner rifle. It is a plunger rifle though. They will build them. Placed my order over the phone with Joe. Barrels are listed on the same web site. They still have the Ridgerunner too.

http://www.thegunworks.com/GunIndex.cfm

Yea I no joe. I just want to keep it as inexpensive as possible and I don't have access to a lathe so barrel liner it is the 1:20 or I'm leaning more towards 1:24 now will be a bipod or tripod gun for groundhogs and coyotes so weight isn't a big deal and the 1:30 will just be heavy lol but I'm a big guy so I can handle it. I'm actually thinking about a third build now something I've been wanting to do. I'm going to try and find another firebolt ultramag I seen one that would be perfect that looks like it was never cleaned lol anyway boring it out to 20 gauge smoothbore shotgun and install screwin chokes and a vent rib. I saw one on gunbroker but the guys asking a bit much and there also a Winchester x150 on there which is the same thing but it has a different stock and I'd kinda like them all to match. The shotgun should work well and boring the barrel will actually lighten it a good bit.

Oh and also not really worried about the .50s I have plenty of them and the only ones I use anymore are my knight krb7 and my RUM depending on where I'm hunting

Maybe you should set up a survey to find out what percent of our group is interested?

To determine how many would buy an inline 32. Since they are difficult to come by I was considering building a barrel for my encore .

I talked to joe at gun works today he is supposed to send me a quote to post here on a .32 inline 1:32 twist that can be ordered directly from them options availible

Lee 9 said:
To determine how many would buy an inline 32. Since they are difficult to come by I was considering building a barrel for my encore .
If you want a barrel for your encore just find a used 209x50 barrel and put a 1:30 barrel liner in it like I'm doing then all you have to do is crown it your local gunsmith can do it or if your close to me I can for free I have a industrial drill press set up with two tables and micro adjust vises and I have a piloted crown cutter in 11 degree

Huntingjeff44 said:
I talked to joe at gun works today he is supposed to send me a quote to post here on a .32 inline 1:32 twist that can be ordered directly from them options availible

I would bet he is talking about using the Ridgrunner. Mine was the first 1 in 30 32cal they built. After it was done his barrel guy liked it and told Joe he wanted one in 40cal just like it. Joe said he told him to built 2, one for each of them. He told me to just have anyone that wanted one to call and if it was enough guys interested he might build and post them on his site for sale. That is one reason I never posted how much mine was plus the donor rifle was on sale then too. I think that some don't go this route because they want a sealed 209 ignition (Ridgerunner is plunger action) even though it is shooting a Pea with 20gn or less. Sure don't bother me when it will tear a ragged hole all day if I do my part, is cheap as all get out to shoot and don't beat you up. The other positive is that it is a blast (Pun Intended) to hunt tree rats with. :D 8)

ShawnT said:
Huntingjeff44 said:

I would bet he is talking about using the Ridgrunner. Mine was the first 1 in 30 32cal they built. After it was done his barrel guy liked it and told Joe he wanted one in 40cal just like it. Joe said he told him to built 2, one for each of them. He told me to just have anyone that wanted one to call and if it was enough guys interested he might build and post them on his site for sale. That is one reason I never posted how much mine was plus the donor rifle was on sale then too. I think that some don't go this route because they want a sealed 209 ignition (Ridgerunner is plunger action) even though it is shooting a Pea with 20gn or less. Sure don't bother me when it will tear a ragged hole all day if I do my part, is cheap as all get out to shoot and don't beat you up. The other positive is that it is a blast (Pun Intended) to hunt tree rats with. :D 8)
Yes you are correct it's the ridge runner you'll be able to get it in any twist and barrel length you want he should be getting me a price today and if I can get and IDEA ON HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED I CAN GET WITH HIM TO WORK ON A BETTER PRICE ON A BULK BUY!!! These will be the ridge runner as seen on the gun works site listed under Lyman in new production guns. As I said it with have a custom barrel in your twist 1:30 1:32 1:24 1:48 whatever you want and whatever length I would suggest if your wanting a squirrel gun a 28-30 inch 1:30 if your looking to shoot groundhogs and coyotes with it a 30 inch 1:24 twist and 123 grain Barnes varmits or the solid copper 105 grains sabotless knurled between two bastard files works awesome with 50 -60 grains 777 let me no what your intrested in.........Thanks Jeff

This sounds awesome. I would be interested in a 1:24 or 1:30 (whichever is best for conicals or sabots if they ever make a 32/25 sabot). I don't know much about the correct twist for this small of caliber though.

I've heard of people knurling jacketed bullets, but what do you use for a gas check? What I've found online for 32cal gas checks are copper flat bases to be crimped on cast bullets. Does this actually seal everything up? Does anyone make a plastic seal like what we use on shotgun slug reloading or ML sabot bases?

I'll admit I'm a novice to small bore ML, so any help would be great. I would be VERY interested in a 32/25cal sabot. I think that would be a FUN and very productive on coyotes. Looking at MMP's site, the 36/32 cal sabot really lets them scream. It would be interested to see how fast a 25 cal bullet would be out of the 32.

Huntingjeff44 said:
ShawnT said:
Huntingjeff44 said:

Yes you are correct it's the ridge runner you'll be able to get it in any twist and barrel length you want he should be getting me a price today and if I can get and IDEA ON HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED I CAN GET WITH HIM TO WORK ON A BETTER PRICE ON A BULK BUY!!! These will be the ridge runner as seen on the gun works site listed under Lyman in new production guns. As I said it with have a custom barrel in your twist 1:30 1:32 1:24 1:48 whatever you want and whatever length I would suggest if your wanting a squirrel gun a 28-30 inch 1:30 if your looking to shoot groundhogs and coyotes with it a 30 inch 1:24 twist and 123 grain Barnes varmits or the solid copper 105 grains sabotless knurled between two bastard files works awesome with 50 -60 grains 777 let me no what your intrested in.........Thanks Jeff

Did you happen to ask Joe about Bluing the barrel or a Thimble added to the barrel for a ramrod? He did not do that for mine as I wanted to do all the finishing myself. Mine was specifically intended for patched round ball as a squirrel rifle. I never intended to try anything heavier or Sabotless and still do not. I have an LK 93 in 36cal that I am shooting 100gn XTP and Rainiers in MMP Gray 32x36 sabots for Coyote or something else larger than squirrel. If I were building another it would not have more than a 24" barrel, that extra length just adds more weight and is not needed. 32 round balls are no more than a 50 yard rifle anyway. I could see it if you want to shoot larger bullets Sabotless but still don't think that it is needed. I would rather have a 32 that carries like a fine 22 and they don't have a barrel that long. But it depends on the user as we all have our likes.

This is how it came to me.

First range trip and barrel still in the white.

With a couple headshot Ohio Gray Squirrels. :D

Banerbird said:
This sounds awesome. I would be interested in a 1:24 or 1:30 (whichever is best for conicals or sabots if they ever make a 32/25 sabot). I don't know much about the correct twist for this small of caliber though.

I've heard of people knurling jacketed bullets, but what do you use for a gas check? What I've found online for 32cal gas checks are copper flat bases to be crimped on cast bullets. Does this actually seal everything up? Does anyone make a plastic seal like what we use on shotgun slug reloading or ML sabot bases?

I'll admit I'm a novice to small bore ML, so any help would be great. I would be VERY interested in a 32/25cal sabot. I think that would be a FUN and very productive on coyotes. Looking at MMP's site, the 36/32 cal sabot really lets them scream. It would be interested to see how fast a 25 cal bullet would be out of the 32.

Currently no one makes a sabot for the.32cal rifles. The MMP Gray sabot for the .36cal does take the 32 bullets. I am using those in my LK93 .36cal with .32cal 100gn XTP or Rainiers. I would say that if you were to shoot Sabotless in a .32cal you would be best to use a wad. Track of the Wolf stocks them for a .32cal.

I have no experience with gas checks but I think they were just to prevent the base of lead bullets from melting in cartridge rifles and not for sealing the bore, but could be wrong. There are some Lead conicals being made if that is of interest for a full bore bullet, or a mold could be made too.

I shoot conicals out of my GM/Knight .32 cal. Great accuracy out to 80 yards. No wads needed. I have an old TC mold.
I did inquire at MMP about a 32 cal sabot, they said the initial investment for the moulds would be in the ballpark of about
12 grand. Little steep. I'll just continue to shoot my conicals and round balls

pjsoden said:
I shoot conicals out of my GM/Knight .32 cal. Great accuracy out to 80 yards. No wads needed. I have an old TC mold.
I did inquire at MMP about a 32 cal sabot, they said the initial investment for the moulds would be in the ballpark of about

He is correct no wad needed I tried cutting some out of soft plastic and the velocity difference was negligible. As far as barrel length get what you want but I'm not sure 24 inches is going to be enough with round balls most 32s were longer than 30 inches there were some like the t/c Seneca with 28 inch barrels. Im sure though if your going to shoot coyote loads that 24 won't work. As far as bluing and ramrod fixtures they can do whatever you want, Im going stainless with my barrels and having them turned down in diameter beyond the forearm to lighten.

As of yesterday joe was waiting on a ballpark price on barrels to get a final price hopefully today ill post asap. Jeff

pjsoden said:

I asked MMP as well and he said right now there's not enough interest in the market to warrant the investment cost.

Latest posts

Back