.32 cal maxi ball?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishingsetx

Reaction score
Ive been using round ball for a while now, and was wondering if anyone has tried a maxi ball in their .32 cal rifle? No real reason for asking other than curiosity.

Also, Im new here (first post) and didnt see a list of rules so if there is one, could someone direct me to it? I make my own black powder, but discussing that is frowned upon in some forums, and I dont want to step on any toes right out of the gate!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

fishingsetx said:
Ive been using round ball for a while now, and was wondering if anyone has tried a maxi ball in their .32 cal rifle? No real reason for asking other than curiosity.

Also, Im new here (first post) and didnt see a list of rules so if there is one, could someone direct me to it? I make my own black powder, but discussing that is frowned upon in some forums, and I dont want to step on any toes right out of the gate!

I don’t own a .32 Cal, Would LOVE to Though! I do have 2 .36 Cal TC Seneca Rifles, i have 2 Maxi ball molds in .36 Cal as well, I have shot more of them than Patched Roundball, I am a diehard Bullet shooter :yeah:

Homemade Blackpowder is interesting stuff! I am curious of it’s Consistency, Does each batch differ to much degree?

Re: RE: Re: .32 cal maxi ball?

Idaholewis said:
fishingsetx said:

I don’t own a .32 Cal, Would LOVE to Though! I do have 2 .36 Cal TC Seneca Rifles, i have 2 Maxi ball molds in .36 Cal as well, I have shot more of them than Patched Roundball, I am a diehard Bullet shooter :yeah:

Homemade Blackpowder is interesting stuff! I am curious of it’s Consistency, Does each batch differ to much degree?

I try to keep the process as consistant as I can and havent noticed any significant change batch to batch, but Im no expert at either making it or shooting muzzleloaders. My powder does run slightly hotter than the goex fffg I had going off of impact height at 75 yards in my .50 cal modern inline. And hotter than 777 or pyrodex. Basically, I had it sighted in using pyrodex pellets and the granular pyrodex and 777 hit about half an inch high. The goex was about 1.5" high and the homade was about 3" high. Not exactly scientific, but told me what I needed to know. All measurements were volumetric, not weight. All the powders were fffg in size and loaded at 100 grains.

Making it is cheap and fun, but fairly labor intensive. I got interested in it due to no black powder being available locally.

Here is another project ive been working on. Still revising it but, so far, it seems to be working very well! Now I want to figure out how to incorporate the powder charge and a cap to each load.
4da39429fa16ffa3994165c6e6af61a6.jpg
98127cf00d1546df1037eb1436b7831b.jpg
1b5ce2c35b968d5c28a4b9dfc37bcf57.jpg
0963553f23a7d118ee7c2839bfd052b6.jpg
0925e52face2dce8ba4ed6890938c1ae.jpg
8b4803bc2b12d7bafbd0a1ef3bdb1b40.jpg

Goex hit higher than T7 powder? I'm not sure why it was hitting higher but no way Goex has the same velocity as T7. Too bad you don't have a chrono.

Muley Hunter said:
Goex hit higher than T7 powder? I'm not sure why it was hitting higher but no way Goex has the same velocity as T7. Too bad you don't have a chrono.
I do have a chrono, just didnt have it with me at the time. It is possible that I could have those two backward as Im pulling it from memory and that "test" was done back in the spring. Ive been meaning to get the chrono out to test, but just havent taken the time. My main concern was that my homemade BP was at least as "hot" as the comercial stuff I was comparing it too. Turns out that, according to my unscientific test, it is actually slightly "hotter" than goex, 777, pyrodex, and the pioneer powder I had on hand at the time.

I do know that it flows better, is "hotter", and is MUCH cheaper than comercial powder so that is good enough for me! My cost, when not figuring time or equipment, is less than $10/lb and probably under $5/lb. $8/lb kno3 (stump remover), <$5 for charcoal (bag of cedar shavings), $3 for graphite (made 5 lbs so far and still have 90% of the bottle left) and sulfur I get for free. I have about $100 in equipment and spend about 3 hrs/lb in labor but I enjoy doing it.

fishingsetx said:
Muley Hunter said:
I do have a chrono, just didnt have it with me at the time. It is possible that I could have those two backward as Im pulling it from memory and that "test" was done back in the spring. Ive been meaning to get the chrono out to test, but just havent taken the time. My main concern was that my homemade BP was at least as "hot" as the comercial stuff I was comparing it too. Turns out that, according to my unscientific test, it is actually slightly "hotter" than goex, 777, pyrodex, and the pioneer powder I had on hand at the time.

I do know that it flows better, is "hotter", and is MUCH cheaper than comercial powder so that is good enough for me! My cost, when not figuring time or equipment, is less than $10/lb and probably under $5/lb. $8/lb kno3 (stump remover), <$5 for charcoal (bag of cedar shavings), $3 for graphite (made 5 lbs so far and still have 90% of the bottle left) and sulfur I get for free. I have about $100 in equipment and spend about 3 hrs/lb in labor but I enjoy doing it.

It sounds like something i would enjoy doing! What kind of equipment do i need? :D

Yes, if it's hotter than T7 it will be hotter than Swiss too. You're doing a hell of job making it. Did you add anything to make it that hot that's not in commercial BP?

btw...Welcome to the forum.

You basically need a ball mill, a press (4 ton min), a press die, a ceramic burr coffee grinder, and some screens (30 mesh and 40 mesh).

For a ball mill, I use a harbor freight rock polisher. I already had this for polishing brass for reloading.

For a press, I use a 6 ton bench top press also from harbor freight.

For the press die, I can get you in touch with the guy I bought mine from. Its aluminum and costs about $22 plus shipping.

I use a cheapo hand crank coffee grinder (ceramic burr to keep from generating sparks) off amazon.

The screens I got from amazon as well. They were advertised for panning gold.

Other than those items, you probably have everything else at home other than the ingredients. I did a long writeup on it on another forum with pics, let me see if I can find it.

Muley Hunter said:
Yes, if it's hotter than T7 it will be hotter than Swiss too. You're doing a hell of job making it. Did you add anything to make it that hot that's not in commercial BP?

btw...Welcome to the forum.
Thanks! And no, it is your run of the mill kno3, sulfur, and charcoal. I do polish it with graphite to help it flow better, but some say this actually retards the burn slightly.

Here is the thread I did a while back with pics and video. I have updated my press to the harbor freight 6 ton bench top press and I now use an old aluminum baseball bat and metal flower pot to crush the pucks.

I started out not pressing the powder and using dextrin as a binder, it worked, but the results werent great. Once I started pressing pucks and dropped the dextrin, it made all the difference!

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

I buy 32 caliber maxi balls from the black powder shop in town. Traditions Crocket rifle. 25 grains of 3f goex workes best for me. Very accurate load. Have taken a couple groundhogs and 2 coyotes with it so far. Shop owner casts them himself.

dbowling said:
look on gun broker guy on there has really good deals on .32 maxi balls I bought a bunch from him.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790603131

That is a good price on 250 .32 Cal Maxi’s :yeah: The last .32 Cal TC Maxi molds i seen sell on EBay went for a Small fortune, I thought about picking up a Mold but NOT after seeing the prices they sold for. I believe Lee made, or stil Makes a 6 Cavity Maxi mold for the .32 Cal, Seems like TOTW carried it?

I bought my six pack maxi ball mold .32 from Track..otw. Very reasonable and pours a nice bullet.

Magnum said:
I bought my six pack maxi ball mold .32 from Track..otw. Very reasonable and pours a nice bullet.

I would love to have a little .32 Cal!! It would give me a reason to buy some of these Maxi Balls, or Purchase a Mold :D Which Rifle do you have in .32? Have you seen dbowling’s .32 Cal inline? What a SHARP looking little Gun!!

Lewis, I have three, a knight disc ,and a TC Firehawk that Mr. Hoyt relined from .50 to .32 cal both in 1-30” twist. I also had some other parts that I built a sidelock from. I can bench shoot these all day. Did I mention how heavy the relined inlines are? :poke: The inlines are filthy to shoot much and the sidelock is my go to small bore now. I find it quick to clean compared to the inlines. They all shoot lights out from round balls to maxi’s and a can of Swiss 3F goes a long way at 25 grains per load too.

if you have .32 Disc why not shoot BH209 in it that's what I shoot in my Omega based .32 and its very clean.

Magnum said:
Lewis, I have three, a knight disc ,and a TC Firehawk that Mr. Hoyt relined from .50 to .32 cal both in 1-30” twist. I also had some other parts that I built a sidelock from. I can bench shoot these all day. Did I mention how heavy the relined inlines are? :poke: The inlines are filthy to shoot much and the sidelock is my go to small bore now. I find it quick to clean compared to the inlines. They all shoot lights out from round balls to maxi’s and a can of Swiss 3F goes a long way at 25 grains per load too.

Yes dbowling , that’s my next move with this Knight. I never investigated what parts I would need to convert the bolt and such to accept the 209’s in the newer sealed bolt. It’s a fine rifle, feels and points good except for the mess with these orange discs.whats your load make up?

Latest posts

Back