.32 cal maxi ball?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this Old Knight MK-85 and have no intentions of ever letting it go, But FACT is She’s a NASTY PIG to clean PLAIN N SIMPLE! There is just NO WAY they can be compared to a Sidelock for ease of cleaning, I will argue that to the other end of the world until Someone can prove me Wrong. I was warned by a few Very trusted Friends about how NASTY the MK-85 gets, and what a PITA they are to Clean, They were ABSOLUTELY correct. That being said, i stil love the Rifle!! But it will never see the use that my Sidelocks do.

25 gr bh209, round ball and pre lubed patch..gun has a custom rice barrel and they advised not to shoot maxi-balls in it, has pretty deep rifling.

Magnum said:
Yes dbowling , that’s my next move with this Knight. I never investigated what parts I would need to convert the bolt and such to accept the 209’s in the newer sealed bolt. It’s a fine rifle, feels and points good except for the mess with these orange discs.whats your load make up?

Re: RE: Re: .32 cal maxi ball?

edmehlig said:
Did you make that yellow holder? If not where where did you buy it?
I designed them and printed on my 3d printer. Tried them out last week at the range and they work great! Took 3 of them with me to the woods for a little squirrel hunting and they work even better out there. Ended up killing 3 and could have killed a lot more if I had better sights! I also need to get me something to run a patch down the barrel when in the field. Got so dirty saturday that I couldnt load another round and gave up about noon with squirrels running everywhere. I got about 15 shots before it really started getting hard to load.

.32 cal Traditions Crockett

9b01a7454f8b23c188fcf96f6df29636.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Fishing

Nice lookin rifle!
What are you using for patch lube?
Also are you popping a cap on the empty barrel before you load the next round?

I would suggest Track of the Wolf "Mink Oil Patch Lube" if you haven't tried it so far.
And the thickest patch you can find with a .310 or .315 round ball.

shguns said:
Fishing

Nice lookin rifle!
What are you using for patch lube?
Also are you popping a cap on the empty barrel before you load the next round?

I would suggest Track of the Wolf "Mink Oil Patch Lube" if you haven't tried it so far.
And the thickest patch you can find with a .310 or .315 round ball.

Ive been ordering thomson center pillow ticking patches (measures 0.01"). They come prelubed with their Natural Lube 1000, popping a cap before initial loading but not between shots.

The balls im using are hornady and measure .310. When I use my cast balls (.315) with the 0.01" patch, you have to really force it down the bore.

Couple of brothers from Canada on the American long rifle forum can shoot all day long without swabbing. Their recipe is good lube, and a thick patch. They seem to be able to do this with any caliber rifle. They dont care for Thompson Center lube.
Hours of reading regarding this in the black powder shooting forum on the other site.
Good luck. I'm sure you will figure out something that will work for you.
How do the patches look after shooting them?

shguns said:
Couple of brothers from Canada on the American long rifle forum can shoot all day long without swabbing. Their recipe is good lube, and a thick patch. They seem to be able to do this with any caliber rifle. They dont care for Thompson Center lube.
Hours of reading regarding this in the black powder shooting forum on the other site.
Good luck. I'm sure you will figure out something that will work for you.
How do the patches look after shooting them?
Ill havs to look into that. I always wondered how the patch didnt swab out the bore between shots! Seems like it should at least clean it out enough to make loading easy.

Pyrodex P will allow MANY more shots than Real Blackpowder before needing to Swab/Clean, Pyrodex leaves a Softer Goo type of fouling, as where Real black leaves a much Dryer, Rougher fouling. I tried Pyro P and DISLIKED it with a Passion, I’ll stick with my Real Blackpowder, Swiss that is :yeah:

Nothing like the big puff of white smoke with real black powder! Just finished another Lb or so of my homemade powder so I doubt ill be going back to smokeless any time soon!

Try hoopes 9 plus black powder cleaning and patch lube it works great in several of my rifles.

Definitely try that Hoppes No. 9 Plus as a Patch Lube :yeah: The guy i bought this .45 Cal Rice Barrel from SWEARS by it! He told me that out of everything he has used, Hoppes No.9 Plus did the Absolute best for him.

I saw some of that not too long ago and almost bought it! Wish I would have now! I use hoppes#9 to clean everything else. Only thing hoppea I dont like is their gun oil. It turns gummy after a while in the safe.

fishingsetx said:
I saw some of that not too long ago and almost bought it! Wish I would have now! I use hoppes#9 to clean everything else. Only thing hoppea I dont like is their gun oil. It turns gummy after a while in the safe.

Definitely not gonna hurt anything to try it! After Dustin Told me about it, I shared the info with rlsmith above, he tried it and had good luck with it as well. Dustin is shooting STELLAR 50, and 100 yard Groups with his .54 Cal TC Renegade using Hoppes No. 9 Plus as a Patch lube :yeah:

I have a few .32 in anything from 30-48 twist. (your crocket will be 48) Ive shot maxis out of them all. They will like a hot load, and can be very accurate to ~80 yards or so. Its a bit much for squirreling, but will do fine for most varminting. I have shot them to ~150, but its a lob and windage comes into play in a big way. (fun for range, and almost a small scale formula for any long range practice) There are many variations on the Maxi design, for moldmakers. Even the TC ones have several variants. (lube groove size and depth, weight can vary a few grains) You can expect similar performance to a .22WMR. Maybe not quite the long range accuracy. Most molds fall in about ~108 grains range

I believe hoppes plus is just hoppes with some beeswax. One of my main patch lubes is a ~50-50 blend of hoppes and beeswax. Works as a cleaning patch, loading patch..

When in doubt always check the MSDS of a product. Its not perfect but as you can see Hoppes BP cleaners are not the same as regular Hoppes.

Hoppes 9 Plus is mostly water with just a little kerosene.
http://www.hoppes.com/Hoppes/files/a7/a ... 22d408.pdf

Full list of Hoppes MSDS.
https://www.hoppes.com/global/customer- ... nformation

On a side note their "synthetic" is listed as just "process oil" whatever that is and 97% mineral oil. Sorta sounds like a good mix ingredient for a patch lube. Food grade light mineral oil is available CHEAP btw. Like $15/gal cheap. Its the main ingredient in Ballistol too.

Latest posts

Back