.32 Cal Traditions Crockett

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskan Hunter

Reaction score
This was a deal simply to good to pass up :D . Sportsmans warehouse is discontinuing carring the Traditions .32 caliber Crockett rifle. They are selling them for 235.99 Thats almost 70.00 less than Cabelas. Its 50.00 less than what THEY pay for them :shock: . So if anyone has ever thought about getting one or looking for a smokepole to teach the kids with, this is the deal for you. Look up your nearest store.
I bought the last one in Alaska and I can't wait to take it out shooting.

Alaskan Hunter

So...have ya shot 'er yet? I am hanging here! Looking at .32's and .36's; the Crockett is definitely on my list! No Sportsman's outlets in the N'east though, so I won't be getting that deal :(
Rich

I wish I could get one of the .32s at that price. My friend has one, and it's a great little small game rifle.

I have one....REALLLY a nice, accurate rifle!

IMG_0140.JPG

I'd buy another! 8)

This is one of those rifles that seems to ALWAYS be out of stock. Midsouth was out of them forever and when they got 'em in, I ordered one. I paid like $320.00 in December. Midsouth was out for several months after that but have them NOW...for $355.06. Cabela's has 'em for $399.99 and Bass Pro has them for $419.99.

Sorry Green Mtn Hunter,
I just took the .32 out last Sunday afternoon. I told the wife I wouldn't be gone but just an hour. So I went to the range, set up and started shooting. 3.5 hours later I looked at my watch. I figured I better get home. What a fun little gun to shoot. If anyone is looking for a starter muzzleloader, I would strongly sugjest a Crockett .32 cal. A round ball, lubed patch, 20 grains of fffg triple seven and a cap. Then let the fun begin. Mine shot great right out of the box with 20 grains. Smashing clay pigions at 50 yards. I am not going to try to sight it in to accurately for now. I will shoot about 100 round balls through it to get the barrel settle in first. But what a joy to shoot. I will be taking it out again real soon. Like probably this weekend sometime.

Alaskan Hunter

Sure! You had so much fun, you had to post twice! :wink: You and Big6x6 have me drooling. Are there reasons other than availability that caused either of you(or anyone else?) to pick out a .32 over a 36?

congrats on your new gun i just picked up a .32 pedersoli frotier rifle never shot for 400.00 order some roundballs ialso got some .32 maxis 110gr. hoping to use in the fall for turkey here in pa. anyone ever shoot maxis out of their 32??

Hello Green Mtn Hunter
Well I can?t speak for big6x6, but for me caliber selection came down to use. Let me explain, here in Alaska we have many species of big game animals Moose, Brown Bear, Doll Sheep, etc. We also have many small game animal species Arctic Hares, Squirrels, grouse, etc. But we have very few medium sized game. And of those most are predators, Red Fox, Lynx, and Wolverine for examples. Since I was looking for a muzzleloader to hunt small game with I chose the .32 caliber. I look at the .32 and .36 calibers like .22 and .22 magnum. Up here you certainly would not want to hunt Arctic Hares or grouse with a .22 mag. But a .22 would work just fine.
A .36 cal is a wonderful small caliber muzzleloader. You could use Hornady 000 buckshot (.350 dia.) instead of the more expensive packaged round ball. Whereas the .32 caliber you can?t do that. All the buckshot is either to large or too small.
So there are good points to both calibers. I just chose the caliber that would work the best for me.
Alaskan Hunter

Thanks Alaskan!
I am certainly intending to use it for small game, but the ability to use the Hornady 000 is also enticing...I'll be doing more target/plinking than shooting at game... Either one is probably too large for the "timber tiger"(chipmunk) and our little red squirrel. Both are pesky little garden raiders, and the red loves attic insulation.
Still searching...

I have one....REALLLY a nice, accurate rifle!

IMG_0140.JPG

I'd buy another! 8)

This is one of those rifles that seems to ALWAYS be out of stock. Midsouth was out of them forever and when they got 'em in, I ordered one. I paid like $320.00 in December. Midsouth was out for several months after that but have them NOW...for $355.06. Cabela's has 'em for $399.99 and Bass Pro has them for $419.99.
Sorry Green Mtn Hunter,
I just took the .32 out last Sunday afternoon. I told the wife I wouldn't be gone but just an hour. So I went to the range, set up and started shooting. 3.5 hours later I looked at my watch. I figured I better get home. What a fun little gun to shoot. If anyone is looking for a starter muzzleloader, I would strongly sugjest a Crockett .32 cal. A round ball, lubed patch, 20 grains of fffg triple seven and a cap. Then let the fun begin. Mine shot great right out of the box with 20 grains. Smashing clay pigions at 50 yards. I am not going to try to sight it in to accurately for now. I will shoot about 100 round balls through it to get the barrel settle in first. But what a joy to shoot. I will be taking it out again real soon. Like probably this weekend sometime.

Alaskan Hunter
I have a pedersol and a crockett 32 both of them doesn't have a very good accuracy they both so far on what I have tried with different patches and ball size have been a shotgun pattern and powder charge from 24 g to 35 g and no luck yet

I have a pedersol and a crockett 32 both of them doesn't have a very good accuracy they both so far on what I have tried with different patches and ball size have been a shotgun pattern and powder charge from 24 g to 35 g and no luck yet
The little 32 shoots good with less powder. Try a few shots with 10 to 15 grains of 3f powder. I wouldn't go over 20 grains.

Anyone shot .310 or .319 balls?
Thanks
Nit Wit
My .32 Pedersoli percussion Pennsylvania shoots .315 balls the best with a .015 lubed patch. My Rice barreled Blevins flintlock shoots a .320 ball the best with a .010 lubed patch. I have my GGG Grandfathers Gibbins .32 percussion gun that shoots a Lee mold .311 ball with a .015 lubed patch. Every gun is a case unto themselves as to which ball and load it shoots best.

congrats on your new gun i just picked up a .32 pedersoli frotier rifle never shot for 400.00 order some roundballs ialso got some .32 maxis 110gr. hoping to use in the fall for turkey here in pa. anyone ever shoot maxis out of their 32??
The rifling twist on most little .32’s isn’t fast enough to stabilize a maxi-ball unless it’s a T/C Cherokee, at least in my experience. I have a Pedersoli, a Traditions Crockett, a CVA Squirrel rifle and a Cherokee. The Cherokee punches a perfect round hole with the maxi’s but I get better accuracy using a round ball. The Crockett I have had trouble with the side of the hammer hitting the top of the lock plate until someone suggested grinding the back side of the hammer to clear the plate. A few seconds with a Dremel tool fixed that problem and it’s a real shooter with 15 gr. 3f a .310” round ball and a .015” patch. I don’t think they made a .36 Crockett but I could be wrong.

Wow! This thread goes way back! I ended up with a Southern Mtn kit from Jedediah Starr; they were out of .32 barrels, at least in 40 plus inches, so I got a very nice swamped 44" from GMB - For a starter course, I built a pistol, and then had some knowledge as I built the rifle. Still, some things I'd do differently, but people who walk over to see it don't notice unless they've also built something...and still a lot of fun to shoot!

Back