.32 Caliber questions from a newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keljayem

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum, and hoping to learn from people more experienced than myself. I am an experienced hunter who loves to chase deer and squirrels here in Missouri. Lately, I have gotten the urge to challenge myself, and to find a new way to hunt squirrels. This is where the .32 caliber muzzleloader comes in. Can you guys tell me what to look for? Any brands to avoid? I am undecided on whether I want a percussion or a flintlock, but I want to make an informed decision. Any insight would be appreciated...

I picked up one of these in the white a few weeks ago. Just got the first coat of oil on the stock today. I have owned a lot of flintlocks in the last 43 years and this is by far the most graceful of any of them. It also has top of the line parts. 
https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

I hunted squirrels for years with a Traditions Crockett .32 and loved the little rifle.  I later got a flintlock .36 and used that with great success.  Most recently bought a TVM Tn SMR .32 and am working with loads.  My only complaint with .32s is that those little balls are so easy to fumble with.  The .36 is marginally better.

Hanshi said:
I hunted squirrels for years with a Traditions Crockett .32 and loved the little rifle.  I later got a flintlock .36 and used that with great success.  Most recently bought a TVM Tn SMR .32 and am working with loads.  My only complaint with .32s is that those little balls are so easy to fumble with.  The .36 is marginally better.
I went from casting .648s for my fusil to 311s for the new rifle. My first thought when I picked it up was how tiny it was.

Hanshi said:

I am glad to hear a favorable opinion of it. After looking around, it seems to be the cheapest route. I saw a Pedersoli scout that looked very nice, but was 200-250 dollars more expensive than the Traditions. Any quirks, or anything to look for in that rifle? My local supplier has it on sale now for about 419.00...

I have hunted with the 32 Crockett for a lot of years and it is a very good little gun,nice lookn too.That is a good price and I woul jump on it.20 gr.3f Goex black powder or Pirodex 0.15 psch and <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps and you should be all set.Good luck

They're great squirrel rifles and extraordinarily accurate.  The fit and finish is maybe not up to the standards of a hand built rifle, but I have a high opinion of their value.  I got sub 1" groups at 44 yards with mine.

Now, here is another route- A guy near my has a T/C Hawken in very nice condition for sale.  I have been made aware that several companies make drop in barrels in .32 for the T/C. I believe I can buy it from him for 275.00 What do you think of that option? Thank you gents for all your advice.

I'd find out more about the drop in barrel for a TC. Green Mountain used to make them, but they stopped doing it a few years ago.

I saw somewhere that the Rice Barrel Co. was making drop in barrels for the T/C Hawken and Renegade.  It would be a relatively expensive way to go, I believe they are $350ish.  It would also be pretty heavy for a squirrel rifle I would think.

You could get a liner for it. I'm not versed on how well lined barrels shoot. Maybe Bobby Hoyt does them? You could call and ask him. 
If you're interested in that route, some of the guys here have his number.

Hanshi said:
A drop-in .32 barrel would be very heavy.
That makes me not want to go that route. One last question regarding the .32 cal rifles- does anyone have any knoowledge about the Pedersoli Pennsylvania Scout? It is more expensive than I'd like, but not completely out of the question.

You might go on GB and check out the Thompson Center Senecas and Cherokees.  The Seneca was available in .36 and the Cherokee in .32.  Both are scaled down Hawkens with 13/16ths barrels.

.36 Senecas 4 sale are as rare as dinosaur eggs and, if you find one, are very expensive. I've been looking for one for four years and only found two. They were out of my price range.  :(

patocazador said:
.36 Senecas 4 sale are as rare as dinosaur eggs and, if you find one, are very expensive. I've been looking for one for four years and only found two. They were out of my price range.  :(
They're easy to find, there are generally a few on Gunbroker.  Maybe not at a price you want to pay, but they aren't hard to find.

I've never understood why the Traditions Crockett cost so much? The normal price at Muzzle-Loaders is $448 for a built gun. The Traditions Kentucky is $348 built.

Being the same gun, but the Kentucky being a bigger gun, you would think it cost more to make than the Crockett? Why is the Crockett $100 more? Being $100 less makes more sense.

Bear Claw said:
I've never understood why the Traditions Crockett cost so much? The normal price at Muzzle-Loaders is $448 for a built gun. The Traditions Kentucky is $348 built.

Being the same gun, but the Kentucky being a bigger gun, you would think it cost more to make than the Crockett? Why is the Crockett $100 more? Being $100 less makes more sense.

Good question.  When I got mine it was many years ago at the lgs.  Cost was much lower, of course but still a bit more than a Traditions DeerHunnter .50 I'd had for many years.

Back