.32 Caliber questions from a newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
small calibers are a specialty. A 50cal is a much more highly produced caliber.

The only downside of the .32 is size.  I have a bit of difficulty with those tiny balls & patches.  I'm sure my ra has a lot to do with it.

My custom .32 Poorboy flinter is a squirrel killer. Loaded with 30 gr's of 3FFF behind a patched .310 ball it will hit em in the eye every time.

Ron_squirrels.jpg

My Beagle Dolly loves to tree squirrels so I can shoot em

Dollys%20squirrels.JPG

That photo of you with the squirrels looks like a photo of a genuine mountain man from the 1800s. Nice outfit.

I have a Pedersoli Pennsylvania in .32 percussion.  It is a squirrel killing machine.  I have found using a loading block makes handling the small pills much easier, especially when hunting.  I also have an old CVA Grey Squirrel in .32.  It has a 25" barrel, is quite light, and a joy to handle in the woods.  I also have a .32 drop in barrel for my Renegade.  It is very heavy (6.5# for the barrel alone).  I have this gun set up for bench target shooting.  It will drill one hole groups all day at 25 yards from the bench.  My last .32 is an original 1845 Gibbins rifle with 36" barrel.  This old gun still shoots & looks great, but I only take it out on nice weather days.
You can't beat the .32 for economy.  !# of 3f can get you as many as 700 shots when using light loads of 10 grains.  I generally use 20-25 grains for close to .22 magnum velocity.

I like that photo, too.  And what a passel of squirrels.  I don't have any pics of the squirrels I took using the Crockett; and have only one with my much used .36.  Unless I get a load that rally shines in that .32 poor boy SMR I'll continue to hunt the .36 SMR flinter.  It shoots with just about any BP charge.  I like 30 grains of 3F and 20 grains for accuracy.  In working with 15 grain loads, the little .36 is still looking fine.

PICT0577_2_1_1.jpg

Latest posts

Back