32 or 36 caliber percussion squirrel rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

884savage

Reaction score
I would really like to get my hands on a 32 or a 36 to do some plinking and squirrel hunting. The problem is that it seems they are for sale nowhere. The ones I do find are $500 plus. I've watched auction sites for weeks and haven't come across one. Do any of you all know where a guy could get his hands on one? Am I just missing the website?

I think you can get a Traditions Deerhunter in .32 for around 300-325 new if they still make them... Ive got one that I put a scope on and its pretty accurate at 35 yds even though Ive never really messed with working up loads/patches etc.... 20 gr. Goex fffg and pocket drill patch lubed w/deer tallow or Crisco .310 ball, shoots groups about the size of a quarter..cant see open sights very well anymore reason for scope.

dbowling said:
I think you can get a Traditions Deerhunter in .32 for around 300-325 new if they still make them... Ive got one that I put a scope on and its pretty accurate at 35 yds even though Ive never really messed with working up loads/patches etc.... 20 gr. Goex fffg and pocket drill patch lubed w/deer tallow or Crisco .310 ball, shoots groups about the size of a quarter..cant see open sights very well anymore reason for scope.

What is a Pocket Drill Patch? Have not heard that term. Did you have any problems with the hammer spur after mounting the scope?

There is a guy that sells original .32 cal CVA Squirrel rifle barrels on Gunbroker. They are just the barrel with hook breech and drum, though. On a couple occasions I saw a stock and a lock, but they seem sort of rare. I have been keeping an eye out for the CVA Varminter, its the same rifle but was drilled and tapped and the hammer spur was bent out away from the scope for ease of cocking. I have the same problems with iron sites too, My eyes don't like them. :( :roll: I have a 30 some year old CVA Mountain rifle I don't shoot for that reason.

ShawnT said:
dbowling said:

What is a Pocket Drill Patch? Have not heard that term. Did you have any problems with the hammer spur after mounting the scope?

There is a guy that sells original .32 cal CVA Squirrel rifle barrels on Gunbroker. They are just the barrel with hook breech and drum, though. On a couple occasions I saw a stock and a lock, but they seem sort of rare. I have been keeping an eye out for the CVA Varminter, its the same rifle but was drilled and tapped and the hammer spur was bent out away from the scope for ease of cocking. I have the same problems with iron sites too, My eyes don't like them. :( :roll: I have a 30 some year old CVA Mountain rifle I don't shoot for that reason.

No problem with hammer spur and pocket drill is just cotton material used to make pockets on jeans... I just take the material from old jean pockets and use it as patch material, works good in the .32 and really good for my .54 Cabelas Hawken, no idea what it mikes just tried it and they both shoot good with it. The scope mount is jb welded on so its not pretty but functional, I only gave 80.00 for the gun because the barrel had minor pitting(about 2 inches of it) and the guy didnt want anymore for it so I snatched it up.

dbowling said:
ShawnT said:
dbowling said:

No problem with hammer spur and pocket drill is just cotton material used to make pockets on jeans... I just take the material from old jean pockets and use it as patch material, works good in the .32 and really good for my .54 Cabelas Hawken, no idea what it mikes just tried it and they both shoot good with it. The scope mount is jb welded on so its not pretty but functional, I only gave 80.00 for the gun because the barrel had minor pitting(about 2 inches of it) and the guy didnt want anymore for it so I snatched it up.
Oh, ok I know what you mean now. Thanks. So the JB holds the scope mount ok? I have heard of Silver soldering them and one or two talking about using JB or Devcon, but don't remember anyone really doing it so I wondered how it held.

No problem with hammer spur and pocket drill is just cotton material used to make pockets on jeans... I just take the material from old jean pockets and use it as patch material, works good in the .32 and really good for my .54 Cabelas Hawken, no idea what it mikes just tried it and they both shoot good with it. The scope mount is jb welded on so its not pretty but functional, I only gave 80.00 for the gun because the barrel had minor pitting(about 2 inches of it) and the guy didnt want anymore for it so I snatched it up.[/quote]

Oh, ok I know what you mean now. Thanks. So the JB holds the scope mount ok? I have heard of Silver soldering them and one or two talking about using JB or Devcon, but don't remember anyone really doing it so I wondered how it held.[/quote]

The first time I put the mount on forgot to degrease the barrel and the mount fell off when I bumped it, degreased it and roughed it up with a little steel wool and let it ooze out the sides a little and has been holding for about a yer and a half now.I put a set of CVA Optima sights on a old 20 ga. single shot with Devcon and theyve been on it for 7-8 yrs with no problems, also put a 1 pc. scope base on the same gun and its still holding up fine..

Cool. I just might try that on a 20ga that I am working on that was my Uncles. It is missing a part that He still has not found yet though. :roll:

Back