My "Want Bumps" are itching for a Squirrel rifle...............

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETipp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Fellas, my want bumps has been itching for many years now for percussion cap ML squirrel rifle. I really wanted to get a kit or maybe even build my own from parts. I used to have a Dixie Gun Works catalog years ago and I almost invested in this project but life took me in a different direction (illness). So, with all of you avid ML wise men out there, input would be welcome.

This will be a true squirrel hunting rifle for the most part. Doesn't have to be the prettiest. In fact, I have no desire to have any brass on it, or any other fancy do-dads. I really have my mind on some sort of percussion cap, long rifle such as and old Tennessee long rifle style. However, if it comes down to it, I could make due with a shorter Hawken/plains rifle style.

First off, and is a major factor, is deteriorating eye sight. Whatever rifle I might get or build, must be compatible with a peep sight and finer front bead. I suppose I could install a scope on long rifle but that really goes against the grain for this old boy.

Next is I would think it should be around a .32 to .40 caliber max. And obviously it would have to shoot a RB very accurately.

Third, funds are tight now so I need to keep cost down. As low as can be in fact.

What say you?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Depending on state game laws, have you considered a 32 or 28 gauge (.54 or .58) shotgun/smoothbore? Not valid here in Florida, if shooting multiple projectiles you gotta be 20ga or larger (.620) but it may be an option....

Failing that, I'd check out the used market I see 32 and 36cals pop up on muzzleloadingforum.com in their trading post/for sale area

Depending on state game laws, have you considered a 32 or 28 gauge (.54 or .58) shotgun/smoothbore? Not valid here in Florida, if shooting multiple projectiles you gotta be 20ga or larger (.620) but it may be an option....

Failing that, I'd check out the used market I see 32 and 36cals pop up on muzzleloadingforum.com in their trading post/for sale area

Good advice.

Any rifle or shotgun is legal here in KY. I had planned on getting a 12 Gauge barrel to fit my New Englander way back when I purchased it, but never did. However, a patch and ball is what I'm really wanting for squirrel hunting. I think it would be, well, a blast. It would also be more challenging for sure. I actually shot a gray squirrel with an old .54 Renegade I used to own. Thought it would tear it up pretty bad but it never.

Plenty of gray squirrels here and plenty of places to hunt them. Gray squirrels are awesome to eat when prepared properly. I like to marinate them over night in the fridge and put them in my smoker.

Last edited:
Traditions Crockett rifles are good little guns and very accurate.
32 caliber, kits or complete guns are available. They usually run in the 400 dollar range.

Traditions Crockett rifles are good little guns and very accurate.
32 caliber, kits or complete guns are available. They usually run in the 400 dollar range.

Wowser! That sounds like something I might be interested in. Do you happen to know if some sort of peep sight can be fitted to one of those?

They come with very basic iron sights but I suppose that a peep sight could be fitted to one pretty easily.
I have been researching those ML. Definitely something to consider. Most places are out of stock but I was able to find one at least. I would rather have the kit rather than the finished product.

Going to have to look into installing some sort of peep on one first. May wind up being a chore, if even possible.

I prefer my .12 ga. White Thunder shotgun for squirrels. Don't know how old you are, but I have issues trying to hold a rifle still enough for a squirrel. Those rascals don't stay still very long... They can't out run a load of pellets though!

I prefer my .12 ga. White Thunder shotgun for squirrels. Don't know how old you are, but I have issues trying to hold a rifle still enough for a squirrel. Those rascals don't stay still very long... They can't out run a load of pellets though!
I know what you mean. I hunted squirrels with shotguns for years when I was younger. Its the best medicine for them without doubt. However, the season lasts a long time here and I've always had a hankering to try my luck with a small caliber ML. Holding still is not that much of a problem but seeing through open sights is. Thus the peep sight thing.

I’ve got a CVA 32 cal Squirrel rifle and a Green Mountain 32 cal barrel for Hawken I will sell. PM me if you’re interested in either.

I ordered a Traditions .32 Crockett just before Thanksgiving. It is supposedly going to shipped to my door by at least Christmas. Tennessee has a long squirrel season and I really get into that season after deer season ends. I’ve been wanting one for a while now and finally decided to go after it.

It is not a kit. I decided I’d like to get the whole gun first and then later try my hand at building one later on down the road.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with everyone.

Anthony

I ordered a Traditions .32 Crockett just before Thanksgiving. It is supposedly going to shipped to my door by at least Christmas. Tennessee has a long squirrel season and I really get into that season after deer season ends. I’ve been wanting one for a while now and finally decided to go after it.

It is not a kit. I decided I’d like to get the whole gun first and then later try my hand at building one later on down the road.

Looking forward to sharing the experience with everyone.

Anthony

The Traditions .32 seems to have the best reviews of what's available out there today. From all the youtube videos I watched on them, they are real tack drivers.

@ETipp Take a look at the Bullseye sight on this page, it’s sort of a peep sight without being a peep sight. I’ve put one on my Traditions Trapper pistol and love it, now trying to figure out how to put one on my TC Hawken.
http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html
Mod’s, I assume links are okay, if not please remove this post.

@ETipp Take a look at the Bullseye sight on this page, it’s sort of a peep sight without being a peep sight. I’ve put one on my Traditions Trapper pistol and love it, now trying to figure out how to put one on my TC Hawken.
http://www.marblearms.com/rear-sights.html
Mod’s, I assume links are okay, if not please remove this post.

Hey, that might just work. I wont know until I actually look through one mounted on a rifle, though. Not sure if its due to the my intermediate vision range that gives me issues with iron sights.

One of those Bullseye sights might just be an option. I'll definitely keep that in mind if/when I get a .32 squirrel rifle.

Thank you for the information.

Fellas, my want bumps has been itching for many years now for percussion cap ML squirrel rifle. I really wanted to get a kit or maybe even build my own from parts. I used to have a Dixie Gun Works catalog years ago and I almost invested in this project but life took me in a different direction (illness). So, with all of you avid ML wise men out there, input would be welcome.

This will be a true squirrel hunting rifle for the most part. Doesn't have to be the prettiest. In fact, I have no desire to have any brass on it, or any other fancy do-dads. I really have my mind on some sort of percussion cap, long rifle such as and old Tennessee long rifle style. However, if it comes down to it, I could make due with a shorter Hawken/plains rifle style.

First off, and is a major factor, is deteriorating eye sight. Whatever rifle I might get or build, must be compatible with a peep sight and finer front bead. I suppose I could install a scope on long rifle but that really goes against the grain for this old boy.

Next is I would think it should be around a .32 to .40 caliber max. And obviously it would have to shoot a RB very accurately.

Third, funds are tight now so I need to keep cost down. As low as can be in fact.

What say you?

Thank you in advance.
I have this Marathon .32 in line “Super Shot” cased, scoped, sling and padded as I wanted to add to the LOP.
It’s been in the safe since 84 waiting for someone to feel the need. I’m in So Cal so can’t really step out for game action here.
If you’re interested PM me to chat it up.

Attachments

• 55FE1614-AE10-419B-B5FE-CD357943EA7B.jpeg
    55FE1614-AE10-419B-B5FE-CD357943EA7B.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B74FB2DD-A41C-4A4C-89AE-4640875D9A81.jpeg
    B74FB2DD-A41C-4A4C-89AE-4640875D9A81.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7B46A533-36CA-4011-A528-52C2CA01B502.jpeg
    7B46A533-36CA-4011-A528-52C2CA01B502.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 0
  • E9071292-98A7-49C8-A5A9-46B8E5C64ABF.jpeg
    E9071292-98A7-49C8-A5A9-46B8E5C64ABF.jpeg