$350- 400. Budget

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BTiffany

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a nice 2x7 35 or 3X9 40 scope to top my new TC ML. Around these parts 50 to 100 yards is the typical shot but on occasion that 150 yard shot is presented. That said I don't feel like I need nor desire a "busy" type reticle. I've looked at the Burris Ballistic Plex and feel like something along those lines is plenty. I'm more interested in finding a solid, dependable scope with great glass that performs well in low light conditions. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

ML Scope

I shoot a CVA Optima and a CVA Wolf. Both have the Traditions 3-9X40 ML scope on them. The scopes are bright, clear, and have precise adjustment knobs. The scopes have the Circle-X reticle. Both guns will shoot 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with these. The scopes come in a kit with scope, rings, and mounts to fit all the ML brands. The kits cost me $70 each at Dick's Sporting Goods. Hope this helps.

I'm with Hunter8282 I just put a Redfield 4-12x40 Accurange on my Kinght KRB and while I have not hunted with it yet I really like it and its a joy to shoot. The scope was 219.99 at Bass Pro.

Because of your budget you have a lot of options. I being cheaper then you, often recommend a Nikon Pro Staff 2-7x32mm. I just can not say enough good things about it. Another good scope I use is the Nikon Omega 3-9x40 and the Bushnell 3200 Elite 3-9x40. All of them are great scopes and for me do everything I need them to do.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help so far. Cabela's has the Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9x40 on sale right now for I believe 199.00....will take a look at the Conquest also.

The Conquests have a $50 mail in rebate and qualify for .50 cent shipping from Cabelas. I might have to get one for the odd 06. :lol:

I have 2 of the Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40AO DOA 600's and they do what I ask them to do. $219 for the Multi-X 4-12x40AO with a free mail in rain suit and .50 cent shipping from Cabelas.

If you have $400 (or $350 with rebate?), go with the Conquest 3-9x. Anything less than $300, go with the Vortex Viper 2-7x32. Still on closeout at SWFA for about $150 (about 45% off) it is easily the best deal out there with glass on a par with Nikon Monarchs.

I think the OP is spot on looking for a 2-7x scope. Unless you are sitting in a stand overlooking crops, the low end magnification for a ML scope is much more important and useful than the high, and in any case 7x should be plenty for any shot out to 250 yds, assuming you can confidently take such a shot (I can't)

Ive been VERY happy using a 2x7 for most applications. I have two new Redfields 2x7x33s and a Swift Premier 2x7x40 wide angle. The Redfield has better relief and the Swift has better FOV. The Swift is also a bit brighter but its also quite a bit larger.

Out to 150 yards im very happy with either. Past that i prefer a bit more magnification. Two years ago i was "over scoped" with a 4x16x44 and it cost me a close shot on 4x while walking to my stand and i didn't see another deer all weekend.

Now i hunt with two guns and the one with higher magnification stays in the stand. :D The 2x7 is with me at all times. ;)

Latest posts

Back