40 year old virgin !!!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avery

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention..... A Virgin as far as ML goes. I am an avid bowhunter / Shotgun hunter, origionally from upstate NY (Finger Lakes - Rochester area), who has relocated to Raleigh, NC (two years ago). We have a very long hunting season here...even longer if you count the guys who hunt at night... LOL I have an itch to enter the ML arena and have been asking around to make an educated decision before making a purchase.

So far, I have been told the T/C and Knight are good models ( I own a T/C contender / 35 REM Handgun that has ventilated many deer ....) I have also had my hands on a Knight ML this week. Although I havent shot one yet... The quality appears as good as the T/C.

Other guys are trying to steer me into the SMI / Savage arena.... Smokeless.

I am looking at the BassProShop flyer this week and they have a T/C Omega Z5 with a hard case and starter kit for 350.00.
Im not sure if thats a deal or junk.....

Basically I would like some opinions , other than "My soul belongs to XYZ company"!!!!

Any info would be great!!! as I am at witts end on where to go with this.

Thank you, for your opinions

Bill Avery

If NC permits using smokeless powder I would go that route. You would avoid all the smoke and best of all you would get away from the constant need to clean the rifle. As for accuracy and velocity The Savage MLII is great. But take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I have no experience with the others or see a need to.

I just bought a Knight Disc Extreme and only have about 40-50 rounds through it, but very happy with it so far. Still tinkering with loads, but have one shooting under 1 1/2" at 100 yds. I really like the disc; makes loading primers very easy.

TC is a good company that stands behind their product, very good guns. I started with a TC and made the switch to the Savage a couple of years ago after many years with TC, the Savage is the most powerful and accurate ML I have ever owned, I will never own another ML that does not shoot smokeless powder. SMI is also a quality option they are converting a Ruger #1 to a .45 cal ML for me, NULA is the lightest as well as possibly the most accurate option available that I'm aware of.

If you're wanting to jump in and get your feet wet, then T/C, Knight and Savage are your best bets IMO, but not necessarily in that order. I agree with Ozark, if you can shoot smokeless, then go with the Savage. If your preference involves smokin', then both T/C and Knight both make some real nice rifles. Good luck!

Guys, I really appreciate the input.... Yes, we can use smokeless in NC. I believe we can use rocket launchers also... LOL They are very liberal here - compared to NY for sure. I am leaning towards the Savage with a Leupold scope. I have been looking for pricing but havent nailed down a good deal yet. We have a gun show at the state fairgrounds this weekend that Im going to attend. I will keep you posted.

Thanks

Bill

SAVAGE FOR SURE!!!

Just make sure you get a good load off this website before buying all your components (powder, bullets, primers, sabots). Will save you a ton of money if you don't want to tinker with your own loads.

As an ML virgin at an age when I forgot what it was like to be 40 :lol: I bought the now discontinued Knight American inline from a favorite family owned gun shop (Mike Schrank's Smoke N Gun in Waukegan) brand new for $ 100. 8) My wife made the decision for me, partly because she wanted to buy me something and partly because we have this little agreement that when I buy a gun she can buy jewelry. A more expensive gun would have meant less jewelry for her. :lol:

I love my rifle! The whole process of loading and shooting an ML is so calming that you'll be as hooked as I am, and, indeed, millions of much better shooters than I are. 8) No modern rifle is as calming to shoot and I do feel that, old dog that I am, this was one trick that I learned easily enough.

Cheers and good hunting!

Welcome. You can't go wrong with the Savage and smokeless powder. No need to spend all that time cleaning after every shooting session. What I would recommend, if you buy one, is to read the manual and do as it tells you. At first shoot only the recommended loads with recommended powders. This serves 2 purposes. It gets you familiar with your rifle and second you'll get yourself a good go to load for hunting. Experimentation with other bullets can come later.

I am so biased towards T/C, but the Savage MLII will at least let you see what you hit (no smoke). Great rifle!

Choc-dog

Back