420 No Excuse review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIDeerhunter67

Reaction score
Hello,

looking for a review on the 420 no excuses, just ordered some for my knight, I’m gonna run them hot, 100 120 grains T7 and a over powder wad, hopefully I can get some reasonable accuracy out to 100 yards, looking for a stout bang flop load hopefully.

Also, I forgot to mention I ordered .503 I’m not sure how the rifling runs on knights, just concerned with it being too loose and coming off the powder.

I was wondering the same as to what NIGHTWOLF1974 said. I ordered some no excuses too.

Hello,

looking for a review on the 420 no excuses, just ordered some for my knight, I’m gonna run them hot, 100 120 grains T7 and a over powder wad, hopefully I can get some reasonable accuracy out to 100 yards, looking for a stout bang flop load hopefully.
Should be a good bullet. Have heard good things about them. I shot a 410 gr Great Plains conical with 85 gr of Triple for a few years until they were discontinued by Hornady. It was a devastating load on deer and pigs. Personal opinion, your plan to run them hot with 100-120 gr of T7 is unnecessary. 80-90 gr will have you blowing thru animals with that size bullet.

Use a wad, they seem to be slightly harder than pure lead.
Check out Ron’s bullet capture test - both with 80grV & 50grV .

Haha didn’t think of it that way!!!! I’m used to the lingo!!! Ordered wads! And sounds good I’ll tone down the load when they come.

I like them. Good accuracy, seem to hit hard. I haven’t hunted with them, but I wouldn’t hesitate. My load is 90gn of 777, with a .54 ox yok wad over powder. Much more and leading becomes in issue for my rifle, which is cva accura.

So you want to shoot a relatively light for caliber lead conical with a large amount of Triple7?

I hope you enjoy scrubbing lead out of your barrel because they is a likely outcome. 80-90grV is plenty for a 100 yard load.

Last edited:
70-90 grains of black powder will send 450-500 grain .45 caliber bullets out to 800 yards with no trouble, assuming you have the long range sights to make the shot.

I used to shoot 400 gr. PR bullets over 150 gr. of 777. I needed a chiropractor after every shoot. Those were pure lead bullets, and they expanded to over an inch and didn't exit elk. I used 330 gr. bullets for deer, and that was bang flop. Listen to a bullet caster like IdahoLewis. He uses around 80 gr. of Swiss, which is not as hot as 777. I think you'll like the accuracy better with lower loads. And you'll enjoy shooting more. I don't know how hard the no-excuses bullets are, but remember that with soft bullets penetration tends to go down as velocity goes up because of bullet expansion. IdahoLewis says to use an oversize wool wad under the bullet. I tried it and shot my best ever group.

Agreed 110 to 120 seems pretty hot for lead.

Years ago, I do mean Years ago well the Magazine, Black Powder Hunting was Still a published Rag, Shocky wrote articles, was a contributor of article for it. So was Ross Seyfred, Peter Schoemocker and a bunch of other quality people. Shocky wrote and that the max charge he hunted with was 80 Gr V. and at that time he was still promoting Knight and pyrodex.

Today I laugh much at the written words of using any charge of over 80 gr. V. eguivelent of what ever propellant is of your choice. Oh, By the way the propellent reffered to as Smokeless powder is the very first, it is the origonal Black Power substitute period! it is Fact, history is history! I believe it was 74 when some guy went to Hodgdons with this stuff that could be marketed to take money out of peoples pockets, that became called Pyrodex.

When I hunted with my trusty .58 cal. underhamer, I used that PRB thingy and eventually reduced my charges to 55 gr V. of Pyro RS and still never recovered a ball. Magnumituse is a dissease that is from the marketing departments of many instatutions that's sole purpose is to dream up ways to remove money from your pocket and put it in someone elses. Yes When I was employable i was in the field of sales.

Long live the republic, we are not a democracy!

Laus Deo,

Ken

I don’t think you gain enough in velocity to justify the extra powder either. I shoot between 60 and 90 grains depending on the bullet. Had a complete pass through on a deer using a .45 cal 380 grain bullet and 60 grains Pyro Select RS. The internal damage was intense. The shot was only 50 yards or so, but that load had close to the same impact points at 100 and 200 yards as a .50 cal No Excuses on top of 90 grains Pyro Select RS, and was a very accurate load from my White .451.

Latest posts

Back