44 cal Pietta

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy21

Reaction score
Here's a picture of my 44 cal 5 1/2" Pietta with the 45.cal 200gr conicals I cast. They are baked @ 350 degrees
for 15 minutes, and coated with Alox. They really shoot good, and have VERY little clean up. I've also powder coated
some of these, and also some 50 cal as well. They do pretty darn good!.

ALOX is meant for centerfire bullets with smokeless powder. It's reported to be unable to provide enough lubrication for black powder velocities. Lee specifies in its directions with casting moulds that ALOX shouldn't be used with black powder loads.

"
<table border="0" width="100%"><tr><td valign="middle">
xx.gif
</td><td valign="middle">Re: ALOX and black powder ?
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »</td><td style="font-size: smaller;" align="right" height="20" nowrap="nowrap" valign="bottom"></td></tr></table><hr />
When I first started out in CAS I loaded up ammo (38/357) with BP and alox/beeswax, the standard smokeless powder lube. It was a disaster. I got PATTERNS after about 5-10 rounds. Once I went to SPG+a grease cookie (thin beeswax disc) I could shoot all day. This was in a 20" carbine. Big Lube bullets will be all you need with a halfway decent lube such as a simple mix of Beeswax and olive oil. I use 50/50 BW & deer tallow (shot a fat doe, just couldn't waste the tallow). It makes a nice firm BP lube."

Back