.44s in 50 sav smokless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrackaddict

Reaction score
Hope Im not wearing out my welcome w/ too many ??? at once but does anyone shoot .427s in 240 or any wt in there savages. I read somwhere that only .452s are recomended???

Thanks again.

.451 or .452 seem to be the best in the MLII or .458 in the orange MMP sabot.

I have found the .451's and even better with the .452's give the best accuracy in my Savage. The .429's did not work well, some have said the thicker sabot required with the .429's causes the problems. I do not know the reason, I only know the .452's were the best shooting in my MLII.

Accuracy is all about the finding the right combination of barrel to sabot to bullet fit. No doubt if one could find the right sabot that bullet would shoot but so far I have not heard of anyone finding the right combo, but that does not mean it does not exist. Guys have shot 40 cal bullets with success with the right sabot and I see no reason that .429 bullets would not shoot good with the right sabot and powder combo.
Typically in the Savage guys either use .452 bullets with MMP black sabots or .458 bullets with the mmp orange, but there are other ways to success.

Some folks say the .452 work best, but I find the 200 gr XTP .400 in the Blue HPH 50/40 sabot is my best load. Consistently outshoots the .452 250 gr XTP no matter what sabots I use with them.

I suspect that some of the green 50/44 sabots would work well also with the right bullets, but I haven't tried enough of them to have found a good one in my rifle yet.

Latest posts

Back