.45-70 Subsonic

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saw an in the American Rifleman where Hornady was producing subsonic cartridges for several calibers including the .45-70. I wonder if the chamber pressure generated by these loads would be low enough that they could be safely used in older rifles like the trapdoor, sharps and rolling blocks? Has anyone seen any specifications on this new ammunition yet? inquiring trapdoors need to know.

My only question is why? Why would anyone want a subsonic 45/70? And why would a person want to shoot them out of a older gun made for black powder? Just curious? They sound like a gimmick to me.

Saw an in the American Rifleman where Hornady was producing subsonic cartridges for several calibers including the .45-70. I wonder if the chamber pressure generated by these loads would be low enough that they could be safely used in older rifles like the trapdoor, sharps and rolling blocks? Has anyone seen any specifications on this new ammunition yet? inquiring trapdoors need to know.
they have made them for years for trapdoors

Sometimes it's a lot easier to just purchase a box of ammunition rather than assemble all the components required for reloading a black powder cartridge. Some of us have a limited amount of room and/or budget just to be able to shoot once in a while.

My only question is why? Why would anyone want a subsonic 45/70? And why would a person want to shoot them out of a older gun made for black powder? Just curious? They sound like a gimmick to me.
There are lots of modern rifles chambered for this round and some of them have suppressors. There is no "crack" sound at subsonic velocities. You can shoot a 500 grain bullet at 1,000 fps and do a lot of damage, if the animal is close.

I suppose,I own 3 45/70s . One lever gun and 2 Sharps. Inever heard one with a can on it so I have no idea what they sound like suppressed. Mine don't crack, they go BOOM. My BP loads shoot 500 gr pp and 535 - 545 greasers around 1200 fps.

There is a lot of merit to hunting with a suppressor to prevent hearing damage, especially if you hunt alot. This is a very popular practice in Europe where they don't have restrictions on suppressors

Hornady CS is pretty awesome, I'd drop them a form submission and ask.

That said, it IS possible for really heavy bullets to be subsonic and above trapdoor/antique/bp pressure levels....

Personally if I had a 45-70 (it is on the list, I'm eyeballing the Henry single shot) I'd be reloading for it. Plenty of data for trapdoor safe pressure level loads.

I have a lot of different rifles chambered for different cartridgessome of which can hit itty bitty objects a long way off but I must say that I have a fondness for the old ones. At the top of the list is the good old .45-70. My others include the 30-30, 32 spl and the not so old 375 Win.

Back