.45 Cal CVA Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
.45 Cal CVA Mountain Rifle

I finally got it! My new CVA Mountain Rifle in .45 Cal, 1:66 Twist. It is definitely brand new unfired, and in the Factory Box. Man was thing Dirty from sitting around all these years, i spent part of a Day Cleaning, and polishing it up. I pulled the Barrel first and Gave it a good Thorough Cleaning, It took a bit of Scrubbing but I finally got it pulling Cotton White patches, The first few patches were kinda Scary, NASTY BROWN! But after getting through that it Started cleaning up Nice. After getting the Bore THOROUGHLY clean and Dry, I went over the Stock and Barrel good with 0000 Steel wool, Then rubbed in a light coat of Ray’s Gun wax (Thank you Jon!! AWESOME Stuff!!) This Ray’s Gun Wax goes a LONG ways, i used a Cleaning patch and 1 little Dip of Rays on the Patch, i was able to do the entire gun with that! She shines like a New/Old Coin :ttups: 

I have it loaded now and ready to Shoot, hopefully the Weather cooperates in the next day or 2, We started getting some wet Weather.

Here are some Pics, they are not great, lighting is not real good in here for pics.

Hps90Q7l.jpg

WuMRzyMl.jpg

r49EFC8l.jpg

8E3osZIl.jpg

U1xTamYl.jpg

8eTCTlXl.jpg

qydFl8ul.jpg

And the Bore, this thing looks like a Mirror, Smooth! I played around with my Phone Camera a Bunch and i just can’t get it to take a Crystal clear shot inside a Bore, My Old Samsung Phone did AWESOME, But not this one
OKpEEwIl.jpg

Re: .45 Cal CVA Mountain Rifle

Do you plan to hunt with this smoker?

Good looking gun!  Will stay tuned for your range report. You’re gonna go with PRB in this, right?

Marty said:
Do you plan to hunt with this smoker?
Marty,  Depending on how accuracy goes i might very well Deer hunt with this Rifle and PRB, they have a small group of guy’s that shoot friendly PRB competition about 1 hr south of me, My plan is to get this Rifle dialed in with a Good load and go Compete against those guys :ttups:

CoHiCntry said:
Good looking gun!  Will stay tuned for your range report. You’re gonna go with PRB in this, right?
Definitely PRB in this Guy :ttups:

I do have a little .45 Auto Pistol bullet mold that throws a bullet of 188 Grains, i would like to try them in this new rifle as well just for the heck of it. But PRB will be my main Focus

These are the .45 ACP Bullets in question from a Lyman Mold i have
J303f1ml.jpg

It's always interesting how some states like Massachusetts allow a .45 muzzleloader for Black Bear while others like Idado do not.

Very Nice,
How does everyone find these sweet deals but me?

I am not sure of the Deal i got on it? I paid 425.00 For it, plus 40 shipping. I probably paid top dollar? I am the kind of person if I really want something i just Deal with it lol! To an extent that is. This being a Brand new Old Gun made me feel good about the Purchase :ttups:

A good friend of mine has one of these Old CVA Mountain Rifles that was his Grandfathers, his is newer than mine, it has the 2 Screw Patch Box, Round Thimbles, and does not Say USA on the Barrel. He brought that Old Rifle by a Few years ago for me to look it over, It was Nice exterior wise, But the Bore was AWFUL looking, it had been shot and not cleaned, or at least not cleaned properly. He left it with me and I spent a couple of hours on it, I Cleaned and oiled the lock up nice, Then started on the Bore, I sure HATE to see these old guns in that kind of shape! And it’s simply from lack of knowledge of these things, or just plain lazy? Probably both in many cases? Nonetheless i was able to get the Bore fairly good, Though it was definitely pitted, it showed good Rifling throughout. 

We took it out the very next day and Shot it, I wasn’t expecting to much? But to my surprise the Gun Shot really well! And that was with my Lyman Plains bullet, For the Slow twist, and Rough bore it REALLY surprised me! I also liked the Fit and Feel of the Gun, But me being a “Die Hard” TC Guy I really never thought to much about the CVA’s back then

I got to thinking about that Old Rifle Recently, How well it shot for the condition it was in, and how good the Fit/Feel was, i started digging on the Internet for info? Everything i found was REALLY GOOD, These old CVA’s were talked very highly of. That set me in motion of trying to find one. Just a few days went by and i seen this Old, But stil brand new in the box .45 Cal, I had to have it! The rest is History :D  I thought about holding out for a .50 Cal? But since i plan to do a Lot of Target work with this gun the .45 Actually had more appeal to me, And it is legal to hunt Deer with here in Idaho if i choose to do so

I had an Old CVA 54Cal. it was very nice. Lost it bought a Newer one, just an't the same.

Also have a CVA 12Ga. Double Barrel.

Got an Old Inline Staghorn that is still good Rifle.

I bought a New CVA Inline and couldn't get rid of it fast enough.

Nice looking Rifle.

oneshot

oneshot 1,  My Dad has an Old CVA Double Barrel 12 Gauge that he Bought from an ad in a Newspaper, it was a Kit Gun. Dad has killed quite a few turkeys with it. He uses Wasp/Hornet Nest as Wadding, Works like a Dream! The Heavy fiber Wads were causing Doughnut Holes in the Patterns, The Hornet Nest Material ended that

Idaholewis said:
oneshot 1,  My Dad has an Old CVA Double Barrel 12 Gauge that he Bought from an ad in a Newspaper, it was a Kit Gun. Dad has killed quite a few turkeys with it. He uses Wasp/Hornet Nest as Wadding, Works like a Dream! The Heavy fiber Wads were causing Doughnut Holes in the Patterns, The Hornet Nest Material ended that
He had the same problem I did. I went to just Over Powder Card and Over Shot Card, went Shot Heavy on the Load. Turkeys have to be very close.

I got mine off an Old Order Mennonite. He didn't know nothing, both Nipples were froze, one Nipple had to be turned so it would fire.

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
Idaholewis said:
He had the same problem I did. I went to just Over Powder Card and Over Shot Card, went Shot Heavy on the Load. Turkeys have to be very close.

I got mine off an Old Order Mennonite. He didn't know nothing, both Nipples were froze, one Nipple had to be turned so it would fire.

oneshot
Wonder if they made these Old CVA Double Barrel Shotguns with 1 Barrel Cylinder (Wide open) And the other with some form of Choke? My Dad describes the Same as you oneshot, He Say’s the Turkey’s need to be in fairly Close, He also tries to Setup and Call in places where the Gobblers have to Walk in Front of an Old Log etc. Giving Him just a Head/Neck Shot, And The log protecting the Body from getting peppered with BBs

WOW! Very nice gun! I found on exactly like it on the used rack at my gun shop one time but it was pretty badly beat up. More than I wanted to take on as a project. I offered the guy half and nearly threw me out the store. I said good luck selling it. It sat there for many months and I think he finally must have took a big loss on it to get rid of it. Too bad though.

Back