.45 Cal Elite Breech Plug

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skamaniac

Reaction score
I bought this used and it came with this breech plug to be used with the red discs which were also included. Is this the standard breech plug for this rifle. I've never owned a disc rifle but after looking on Knight website, i can't find any other breech plugs that look like this. It also came with a breech plug for use with percussion caps.

plug1-1.jpg

plug3.jpg

plug2.jpg
[/img]

That breechplug will not work the that bolt. The breechplug you are showing is from the Original DISC. You need to get one of the breechplugs for the Extreme. What powder do you plan on using? That will determine which breechplug you need as there are three to chose from.

I thought something was awry here. It just didn't make sense to me that is why i posted the pics. I just emailed the guy i bought the rifle from for an explanation.

I shoot mostly Swiss Black and Triple 7 but would like to do some testing with BH209.

I guess the question is, which breech plug do i need to work with this bolt?

"It also came with a breech plug for use with percussion caps." - Could you post a picture of this one. Sounds like something that should go in a Bighorn, MK-85 or Wolverine.

"I guess the question is, which breech plug do i need to work with this bolt?" - That bolt seems to hold the FPJ. On page 22 of Knight's 2008 catalog (PDF version) it looks like it should be #900024 - Fits DISC Exteme, Vision, LRH, MH, Elite Hex head.

I'd just call Knight and Get a Domed and a standard breech plug from them. They'll set you straight.

UC, i guess my question would be, am i going to have to change the bolt also if i go with the non FP?

See what happens when you stray from White's. :? :? This is the only non-White i have other than a couple Trads i hate to part with.

That bolt looks like it is made for the fpj (unless it has also been modified).

If that is the case, no change to bolt required. You just pull the bolt and drop in the conversion piece, then reinstall the bolt. The one I had briefly worked very well.

That plug looks truly weird.

Look at the depth of the hex head. What do you think. Been modified?

I e-mailed knight and told them I bought a knight disc extreme and ask them if they came with two breech plugs, one for plastic jackets and one for NFPJ or if I had to buy the NFPJ? She said she would get one in the mail asap. 3-4 days it was in the mail, NO CHARGE, THAT IS GOOD SERVICE !!!!

I would get all three breechplugs as that would cover every powder you want to shoot.
BH 209 - Concave or NFPJ (some have ignition issues) breechplug
T7 - Convex, NFPJ, or Concave breechplug

Absolutely the plug has been modified... but I meant the bolt. That firing pin hole looks a bit large to me, but then that might just be an effect of the picture.

You say it has something for firing #11s? If so, then maybe a larger firing pin was installed in the bolt.

I am looking at an original disc breech plug in an old Knight catalog and the one you have pictured looks to have had about 2/3 of the head ground down. Any chance the previous owner did that so they could use an original disc breech plug with the red FPJ conversion kit?

Reese said:
I am looking at an original disc breech plug in an old Knight catalog and the one you have pictured looks to have had about 2/3 of the head ground down. Any chance the previous owner did that so they could use an original disc breech plug with the red FPJ conversion kit?

Reese,

I think you nailed it. That looks like one of the old Crossfire breech plugs Knight had about 7 or 8 years ago, before the FPJ was out. It looks as if it has been ground down on both ends to me.

UC,

That hole looks to be correct to me, but the pin could be altered. I concur with Reese above.

Skamaniac,

Like UC said, get yourself one of these NFPJ conversions, $25 at Midsouth. I just bought my second one last week for my new .45 cal Disc Elite. I have never used the Red FPJ in my Disc rifles and wont. I used them in my MK-85 and TK-2000 plunger guns, but with the Disc conversion I have no use for them.

001-2.jpg

007-5.jpg

011-4.jpg

Here is a comparison of the NFPJ and FPJ plug side by side. That metal primer holder goes in your bolt, then you install it in the rifle. It captures it so it don't fall out and is an extension of the bolt. Then you just drop a primer in and close the bolt, chambering the 209 primer into the breech plug. It also extracts the primer when you raise and pull the bolt rearward. I absolutely love mine!

022-2.jpg

020-3.jpg

Look at the top left Orange Knight DISC, they could use either 209's or the little #11 nipples shown here with my Huntsman primer carriers.

003-1.jpg

Back