.45 Cal GM LRH (Lyman Gould Bullet)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
The Lyman Gould, This is an awesome little Grease Groove bullet for .45 Cal with a History of Game killing performance, This is a Hollow Point design, I had a guy from another Forum Fashion me a Pin so i could pour this Bullet Solid as well, For hunting I would size this Bullet to .452 for my .451 Bore, For Target work i prefer them to Slip Fit and Size to .449, I shot this Target with the Lyman Gould at 100 Yards with my TC Hawken, fitted with a 1” Drop in Green Mountain LRH .45 Cal Barrel 1:30 Twist. I shoot This little Rifle more than any other gun i own

My Rifle, and Target on the Far Bank, this was just slightly over 100 yards
fnHRvIfm.jpg

The Target, These Bullets were sent to me by a Forum member/Friend to test, These were Pure Lead
11cvCv0m.jpg

The Mold With Custom Pin For Making this bullet Solid
LzeSi6Xm.jpg

Bullet Weight as Hollow Point, it is closer to 360 Grains when poured Solid. This Bullet shoots AWESOME both Solid, and Hollow Point, Target Above was Hollow Points
3m2A4OVm.jpg

Lyman 456122 -- the Gould bullet, designed by John Barlow for A. C. Gould, the editor of Shooting and Fishing;  a 330 grain HP for the .45-70, "It has a great reputation as a killer of large game."

Awesome group with open sights Idahoewis!
Thanks for sharing your range report.

Sparkitoff said:
Very nice! Have you hunted with it?
I have not hunted with this particular bullet yet. I used a Paper Patch bullet last year in my .50 Cal to fill a Whitetail Doe Tag. I filled my Elk Tag this year with my 485 Grain Grease Groove bullet during our short season Muzzleloader Only Cow Elk hunt

Maybe Next year on Deer, This Lyman Gould is a REALLY Accurate bullet, i have shot it a bunch and Accuracy is repeatable time and time again. We Have a .50 Cal Minimum on Elk here in Idaho, So it’s not a choice there

Marty said:
Thank you Marty! My goal is to stay in 2-3” at 100 yards, For open/peep Sights a 2-3” Group is pretty darn Good in my opinion. Sure I strive for 1” MOA at 100 Yards, But to expect that every time out is being unrealistic with open sights, i have done it Many times with my Muzzleloaders, but I don’t get upset over 2-3” Groups

Lew, just a thought, why not try it in a Sabot with your 50cal and see what it does.   I tried it a several years ago with my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker and it shot pretty good.   I forget what group I got at 50 yards, but I hunted with it, but no doe gave me a shot during our late ML season. :cry:  I think I used the Harvester Crush Rib sabots?

edmehlig said:
Lew, just a thought, why not try it in a Sabot with your 50cal and see what it does.   I tried it a several years ago with my Flintlock Lyman Deerstalker and it shot pretty good.   I forget what group I got at 50 yards, but I hunted with it, but no doe gave me a shot during our late ML season. :cry:  I think I used the Harvester Crush Rib sabots?
I am Sabot DUMB :lol!: It’s the truth, I don’t know anything about them? And since they Cannot be used here on Muzzleloader only Hunts I can’t Get interested in them. I’ll stay Full Bore Lead :ttups: 

I get a Kick out of Guy’s that act like they made some GREAT accomplishment by Hunting with a Scoped inline Muzzleloader, Sabots, 209s, High end Fancy Copper Bullets, etc. During a Regular/General Firearm Season, All they did was make a Reload More Difficult. These High end Inlines with all the Above mentioned are EVERY bit as accurate as ANY Centerfire Rifle! What is the Challenge of that? ABSOLUTELY NONE!!! Don’t get me wrong, i have ZERO problems with Guy’s that do this, The problem i have is when they ***** about a Special Season, or Being Allowed to Use their Setup in a Muzzleloader ONLY hunt, I would Drive 600 Miles to Boise to Vote AGAINST That!! Those guy’s belong in the General Firearm Season, PLAIN N SIMPLE

I'm not crazy about sabots myself.  Just thought it may be a way for you to use the Gould bullet for hunting in your 50cal.  Give ya something else to experiment with.  :D

edmehlig said:
I'm not crazy about sabots myself.  Just thought it may be a way for you to use the Gould bullet for hunting in your 50cal.  Give ya something else to experiment with.  :D
This is a good idea Ed! Would be a way of Shooting the .50 Cal Rifles with less Punishment than the Big Heavy weight bullets, I might have to Tinker with it? I can Size the Bullets to .451-452

Your Avatar looks AWESOME on this Forum! What a neat looking animal!! Africa is, and has been a Dream of mine Since i was a Little kid

Idaholewis said:
Marty said:
Thank you Marty! My goal is to stay in 2-3” at 100 yards, For open/peep Sights a 2-3” Group is pretty darn Good in my opinion. Sure I strive for 1” MOA at 100 Yards, But to expect that every time out is being unrealistic with open sights, i have done it Many times with my Muzzleloaders, but I don’t get upset over 2-3” Groups
Id be doing back flips on the range if I could get 2-3 inch groups :bounce:

Lew, thanks for the comment on the Avatar.  Yes, Africa is a dream come true.  I shot the Kudu, Zebra both at a range of about 230yds, with my 280Rem using 150gr Barnes bullets.  The Impala I also got was about 125yds.  For Plains game animals, any 7mm-08, 270, 280, or 30-06 shooting good solid bullets will work fine.  My son would like to go back next year for his sons HS graduation.  I don't know if I'll be able to go but I'd sure love to tag along for the ride.  From the East Coast, it's about a 13-15 hr plane ride to get to your destination and maybe a couple of hour car ride to your outfitter.  But once you get there you are treated like Royalty and the meals are to die for.

Idaholewis said:
edmehlig said:
These High end Inlines with all the Above mentioned are EVERY bit as accurate as ANY Centerfire Rifle! What is the Challenge of that? ABSOLUTELY NONE!!! Don’t get me wrong, i have ZERO problems with Guy’s that do this, The problem i have is when they ***** about a Special Season, or Being Allowed to Use their Setup in a Muzzleloader ONLY hunt, I would Drive 600 Miles to Boise to Vote AGAINST That!! Those guy’s belong in the General Firearm Season, PLAIN N SIMPLE
Shotgun!

burkeboy said:
Idaholewis said:
Marty said:
Id be doing back flips on the range if I could get 2-3 inch groups :bounce:
You can do it! Keeping everything consistent is Key, And a Consistent Sight picture.

Back