.45 cal load suggestions ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdugas

Reaction score
I have a CVA .45 cal. Kentucky Rifle and would like to shoot a deer with it this season. Any load suggestions ? Is there anything besides patch and ball that would be accurate ? Shots will be under 100 yds.

All the 45 CVA Kentucky rifles (with two piece stocks) I have seen or owned had 1-66 round ball twist barrels. You may want to try a LEE REAL bullet, as some have had success with it. Other than that believe a patched round ball is your best choice. Figure 75 yards or so as your max range for a broadside lung shot. Others may suggest 100 yards. Many deer have been taken with a 45 caliber round ball throughout history. Nothing wrong with it if you remain a hunter and not just a shooter. I would start with 50 grain charge of fff (or ff if that is what you have) and increase until accuracy goes away, then back off 5 to 10 grains for your ‘accurate’ hunting load. I use ‘real’ backpowder and prefer Swiss.

Good luck.

Boomer gives good advise :yeah: if he is correct on the Twist being 1:66 you will likely need to stick with Patched Roundball, or like he said Possibly a Lee R.E.A.L. Bullet, they are 200 Grains in .45 Cal, I don’t believe you can buy those bullets in Stores? I am pretty sure you would need to buy a Mold and Cast your own, or possibly find someone on a Place like Gunbroker that makes, and sells them.

I have a little bullet that might shoot in a 1:66 Twist? It is a .45 ACP bullet that i pour from a Lyman Mold, these weigh in at 188 Grains, This bullet actually shot very well in my Fast 1:30 Twist Green Mountain LRH Barrel
J303f1m.jpg

Back