.45 Cal Paper Patch Video

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I got out today and shot my New bullet from the custom mold I recently had made by Buffalo Arms, this is a cupped base bullet, Nose pour mold. I had the bullet made to drop from the mold at .443, This bullet weighs 423-424 Grains when poured with 1-40 Alloy, This was my first test with the bullet, i chose to use Oxyoke brand 1/8” .50 Cal Wool Felt OP Wads for the extra Seal from the oversize Wad, and due to this being a cupped base bullet i figured it wouldn’t hurt anything, it worked :yeah: I will play around with a few different powder charges down the rd, But all in all i am Happy with the results. If all continues to go well This will be my Long Range bullet for this Rifle

[youtube]7FXhYaEjGJM[/youtube]

The bullets Wrapped with 2 wraps of 9# onion skin paper, and the Mold.

v9vSxyX.jpg

OGNvh9E.jpg

Good shooting Lewis! You should make a video of your technique on casting your bullets some day.

Magnum said:
Good shooting Lewis! You should make a video of your technique on casting your bullets some day.

Thanks Chris, Now that i have a Woodstove in My basement and it’s nice n warm down there i plan on making a Video of How i Paper Patch bullets, And why i do it the way i do. Maybe ad some Casting in it as well :yeah:

excellent ..what was your alloy? I played with paper patch in my
45-70 years ago..never thought they would work in a muzzle loader.. :drinkers:

2frogs said:
excellent ..what was your alloy? I played with paper patch in my
45-70 years ago..never thought they would work in a muzzle loader.. :drinkers:

Alloy of these bullets was 1-20, Paper Patching for Muzzleloaders works very well. I just started putting a Video together on it, Gonna take me a little bit of time to get it done. Patching for Muzzleloaders is SUPER easy, The keys are knowing your Bore Diameter, Paper thickness, and Getting the Correct Diameter bullet. When you put it together it works VERY well :yeah: I have custom PP molds in 45, 50, and 54 Cal. Paper Patching for Muzzleloaders is actually what got me in to the Sport.

45cal said:
looks like a good start

Bob, I said that wrong on 500 Yards being a good place to "start", That is actually about where i will Max out with this Rifle due to my Sight Setup, Anything much past 500 Yards and i will be out of Sight adjustment. My main reason for having this particular bullet mold made is so I can Cast my own for this 1:30 Twist that I shoot so much, Instead of having to Buy BACO's Already made bullets.

Maybe a better way to answer here, 500 Yards is definitely what I consider long Range, especially with Open sights. Don't they consider this Mid Range in Shoots though? With 8, 9, and 1,000 Yards Being considered Long Range?

Bob, if you would like to try some of these new bullets from this Mold I would gladly send you some :yeah: I think you will really like em

The NRA black powder people consider 500 - 600 to be Mid Range. It is still long range for Black Powder to me. You seem to have good handle on it, don't think you will have many problems with it. Wind is what you got to watch and Mirage

Back