45 cal rice barrel should be here soon!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
I bought/ordered a 45 cal 32 inch rice barrel for my t/c hawken.. since it was in stock y, he said it could ship this week. Now i need to get some bullets. Also will have my swiss 2f tomorrrow if fed ex message is correct... any suggestions for bullet and load?? (i don't like to cast so would prefer to buy some bullets). thanks in advance,,, This should be fun!!! Kirk

What r u wanting to shoot ? Several sizes of rb's to be had. Plenty of .40 cal bullets to fit into sabots, plenty of lead conicals around. Whats the twist rate on your barrel ?
sorry i didn't post enough info,, i'll be shooting some heavy lead,, its a 20 twist barrel. i do have some no excuses 460 grain no excuse bullets ordered now.. (i've enjoyed shooting 50 and 54 cal bullets from them).... This is my first 45 cal so i've no fodder as of yet... it will be used for punching paper and whitetails.. & i've not done much searching til now... Thanks much!! looks like i might have to go ahead & buy some dies to cast,, even though i don't like to at all... maybe they will shoot so good i'll fall in love with casting.......

Last edited:
i'll be shooting some heavy lead,, its a 20 twist barrel. i do have some no excuses 460 grain no excuse bullets ordered now
I also shoot the no excuse bullets and like them.
If you want more of a selection, BACO has a huge assortment of lubed, un-lubed and bullets made to paper patch, although, they are in 2 different sections on their web page.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/muzzleloading-supplies/muzzleloading-bullets.html?product_list_limit=36
https://www.buffaloarms.com/reloadi...llets-supplies.html?p=2&product_list_limit=36

So far the 450gr Paper patch bullets from BACO have shot the best in my Rice Barrel with 85gr of Swiss 2f. I have a 32inch 18 twist for my TC Renegade as well. I have other bullets I am casting and have had good results as well, but not as good as the BACO bullets.

So far the 450gr Paper patch bullets from BACO have shot the best in my Rice Barrel with 85gr of Swiss 2f. I have a 32inch 18 twist for my TC Renegade as well. I have other bullets I am casting and have had good results as well, but not as good as the BACO bullets.
what sizing die setup are you using? i was hoping i could find some to buy in the .448 , .449 range but looks like all the "bullet makers" sell much larger bullets.. the smallest dia i've found (close to what i need) are the 452 dia. no excuses looks like i'm gonna have to start melting lead again... ps..
are the paper patch bullets the .438 diameter 450 grain pills??? what "paper" does one use? tia,,, Kirk

Hey Kirk,

I use a Saeco lubri-sizer with a .451 die. The paper patch bullets are BACO .444 Cup base 450gr bullets. I attached a photo for you. I use the 9 lb Onion Skin paper also sold by BACO as well as their paper pattern template. I dont have to size these at all after wrapping them for my bore. They slide perfectly down the bore with the weight of the loading rod. I use liquid graphite to lube them.

Rob20230302_182340.jpg20230302_182421.jpg20230302_182434.jpg

Last edited:
I bought/ordered a 45 cal 32 inch rice barrel for my t/c hawken.. since it was in stock y, he said it could ship this week. Now i need to get some bullets. Also will have my swiss 2f tomorrrow if fed ex message is correct... any suggestions for bullet and load?? (i don't like to cast so would prefer to buy some bullets). thanks in advance,,, This should be fun!!! Kirk
Which rifling did you get? Squared or radius? And why?

Rice has a nice new website now by the way... its not that one page thing now,, has lots of info As per the rifling,, I bought this barrel because he had it where it could be shipped within a week. all the thompson drop ins are listed with "square" rifling check out the new site..
https://ricebarrels.com/products/th...24-1-48-square-riflied?variant=41510964330693
By the way,, How heavy of a bullet will 20 twist stabilize??

Rice has a nice new website now by the way... its not that one page thing now,, has lots of info As per the rifling,, I bought this barrel because he had it where it could be shipped within a week. all the thompson drop ins are listed with "square" rifling check out the new site..
https://ricebarrels.com/products/th...24-1-48-square-riflied?variant=41510964330693
I think it will depend on the caliber. I have a 1:24 twist .40 from a barrel maker that should stabilize up to a 1" long n 300 gr conical. I have some 350 gr conicals i plan on shooting from a 1:28 twist .50 cal. with sabots. I think the 1:28 would work with 460 gr conicals n or pp bullets. I am also in the new learning curve stage in my life

at the prices that some are asking for the old GM LRH drop ins, these Rice drop ins will sell just fine. Im saving up some $ for one.

Yeah! That’s a really nice website and I hope it drives a lot of success his way. Jason is one of the good guys, excellent service and a product as good as anything available.

I bought my first Rice barrel new and unfired from some guy on ebay. He didn’t even know who made it or really anything about it so I got it cheap. Started shooting it and while cleaning I noticed it was weeping the smallest amount of cleaning solvent at the joint between breech and barrel. I talked with Jason and he suggested I send it in so he could look into it. First time he shot and cleaned it he couldn’t replicate what I’d seen. (Again, the tiniest weeping of fluid at the joint.) So he fired it again, with heavy bullets and charges.That time he did see a bit of seeping so he rebreeched the barrel and sent it back. It’s been perfect ever since and one of the most accurate barrels I’ve ever owned. It’s got a couple thousand shots down range now and if anything it’s getting better. I’m a big fan and completely satisfied customer.

1:20 will stabilize pretty much any of the heavy weight bullets up to and including 540 grains. It is a well proven formula for that caliber.

By the way,, How heavy of a bullet will 20 twist and it

I use the Stability calculator on JBM's site. It shows that if you used a bullet around 1.4 inches and 500 grains you have a Stability factor of just over 2. They recommend a factor from 1.3 to 2 as stabilized. Screenshot_20230304-230633_Chrome.jpg

Back