45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlewis

Reaction score
a buddy of mine has a 45 cal rem 700 he wants to shoot blackhorn anyone have any load data for 45's and blackhorn powder

Not in the 700 ML but I am shooting it in my .45 cal Knight Disc Elite with very good success. I am shooting the 200 gr SST with 85.0 gr by weight of BH209 and igniting it with a red FPJ and Win 209 primer. This concoction is giving less than 2 MOA at 200 yards.

.45 cal stuff

Recipe for my knight disc extream .45: 120 gr. BH 209, 200gr SW, win. 209 cap and light blue smooth harvester. 1.5 to 2inch at 200 yds. tightly packed no cleaning between shots
Wayles

jlewis

I doubt that he will be able to shoot BH in a Remington unless he has the Cabelas 209 conversin installed. If it is the Remington conversion get ready for 'hang fires' and a lot of blow back.

If he has the Cabelas conversion start him at 85 grains of BH and move up accordingly - I do not think I would go over 100 grains or stop when the blowback starts pushing the prime out of the nipple and re-cocks the hammer.

jlewis, I don't shoot a rem 700. I shoot a CVA Optima Pro in .45. I use 90 grains of BH 209 pushing a Hornady 180 GR XTP/HP and I was getting 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I've posted before with information not to exceed 100 grains of BH 209 in a .45 caliber muzzleloader. This recommendation came directly from Western Powders. I haven't checked their web site lately, they may have updated test results regarding the .45. I haven't taken a deer or hog with this combo yet. ML season starts in a couple of weeks, I hope to have some results. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back