45 caliber muzzleloader need better bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fountwe

Reaction score
I have used powerbelt 195 and 275 aerotip with grat kill results on white tail deer.

I have killed severla deer with the 195 up to 175 yards. I did not get a pass thru shot but the bullet went .75% through with a 3 inch entry hole.

I changed to the 275 and shot a 240 lb buck at 60 yards right thoeugh the shoulder. The deer died but the bullet results were not impressive. It totally shattered and only penetrated about 6 inches.

I looked at several other bullets but the saboted .45 stop at about 200 grains.

Any advice

No Excuss makes a great 451 conical of 460 grains, it's a thumper of a bullet, pass throughs are almost a certaintee.

I believe, IMO, the Knight Red Hot in 195 config is one of, and if not theeee best 45 cal. bullets going. Made by Barnes....all copper construction with great terminal performance.

I agree with SpitPatch! You cannot beat the Knight Red Hot's. I have used the 180 grain Knight Red Hot in my .50 caliber for years. And, we are talking bang flop here. In all the deer I have shot with that bullet, I have only ever found two of them still in the deer. The rest were all pass through's. That includes shots out to 125 yards, and shot though both shoulders. When the smoke cleared I was looking at white belly.
Of the two I recovered, one was from a 150 yard shot and the bullet was laying against the hide on the outer side. The other was from a 100 yard shot, and the bullet was lodged against the outer side front elbow, after having passed thru the front should and body cavaty.

In my opinion you cannot shoot a better bullet for accuracy and kiling power.

Back